Me 262 "Black 1" Photo

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JonCOlsen

Airman 1st Class
Mar 14, 2015
Black 1.png

Hello everyone,

After seeing a profile for an Me 262 known as "Black 1" on an Eaglecals decals sheet, I became fascinated with this particular Me 262. With it's light-colored replacement nose, and red and black Karoband, it looks very distinctive.Eventually I found out that a Kagero book had a few pictures and descriptions of the aircraft, but I wasn't able to get my hands on that book. From reading excerpts o the internet, I discovered that the Kagero profile of Black 1 describes it as having a dark green fuselage (RLM 82) with dark mottles of RLM 81. Later, I was thrilled to find a photo of Black 1 in the book by Robert Forsyth, "Me 262 Bomber and Reconnaissance Units." It's on Pg. 89. The photo in the book is slightly clearer than the one I've uploaded, btw.

Interestingly, what I see in this photo does not seem to quite match Kagero's description. In the photo that I've found, the fuselage color appears VERY light green, even translucent. It looks like the green was only very lightly sprayed over the bare metal. The dark putty lines underneath the light green paint are clearly visible.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share this photo with everyone. If anyone has additional insights, opinions, or knowledge about Black 1 I'd love to know! Also, if anyone has additional photos, please do share them. :)

Thanks!

>Jon

My 2 cents Jon. Profiles are pretty, descriptions are filtered through someone else's eyes, but photos are the primary source when the prototype you are modeling no longer exists.

But even photos are open to interpretation, so who is to say? Someone will come along and post the two pictures you seek. Even then it will be a best guess and I think yours is pretty good.

This bird is on my to do list, already completed 2 Checkerband Me262's, haven't really studied this aircraft yet....

If you get an opportunity to do some research on "Black 1" and a model of it in the future, please let me know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure will, have another Me262 ready to get into....at this point it is going to be White 1 of KG(J)6....but that could change...

My first 2 Checherband 262's....
Me262A-1a_KG(J)6_Yellow 3_1329.jpg
Me262A-1a_KG(J)54_Yellow 3.jpg

Last edited:
Those are honestly a few of the nicest-looking Me 262 models I've ever seen. Seriously! Are those in 1/48 scale?

Those are honestly a few of the nicest-looking Me 262 models I've ever seen. Seriously! Are those in 1/48 scale?
Thanks, yes both 1/48.

have one 1/32 kit this will be done as Yellow 2 of KG(J)54 with the rather striking camo over spray.

I'm thinking Black 1's fuselage is similar to my KG(J) 54 yellow 3 it's definitely lightly oversprayed in Green or greens, there is one additional photo showing Black 1

Thanks, yes both 1/48.

have one 1/32 kit this will be done as Yellow 2 of KG(J)54 with the rather striking camo over spray.

I'm thinking Black 1's fuselage is similar to my KG(J) 54 yellow 3 it's definitely lightly oversprayed in Green or greens, there is one additional photo showing Black 1

Please let me know when you begin a thread for "Yellow 2." That's one of my favorites! Later this year I'll be doing that one (Revell kit) in 1/72 scale. Out of curiosity...have you thought yet about what paints you'll be using for the overspray? My Topcolors decals book, "Last Hope of the Luftwaffe," has a profile depicting this Me 262 as having bands of a relatively light, possibly greenish shade of RLM 76. (Maybe the controversial RLM 84?) Within these narrower bands are dark green streaks. The books suggests RLM 81 for the dark green, but I'm inclined to think RLM 70 or 71, which are suggested as possibilities in a certain Japo book that discusses "Yellow 2." I'm not too sure about that book's exact commentary because I just found the text online in Czech and used a very basic online translator to read it in English!

I definitely agree with your interpretation of Black 1's fuselage being similar to Yellow 3's, especially in the sense of the putty lines being visible underneath the thin paint. I haven't seen the other photo of Black 1 that you've mentioned, though I hope to see it eventually. ;)

Regards,
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back