Me 262 Prototype Color(s)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Initially the first V1 supposedly was natural metal, then may have changed to RLM 76, the 3rd aircraft v3 was most certainly in 74/75/76 camo, verified by a colour shot of the rear fuselage.
The first of the Series production Prototypes S1-7 were in RLM76 then 8-10 in 74/75/76

The first of the Series production Prototypes S1-7 were in RLM76 then 8-10 in 74/75/76

What is S1-7?

3rd aircraft v3 was most certainly in 74/75/76 camo, verified by a colour shot of the rear fuselage.

Do you have a copy of this color photo?

In this photo you can see color differences.

Me262V12.jpg

Arrow #1 looks to be natural metal in this photo. It also seemed to be that way in another photo I saw.

Arrow#2 Possibly one or two bands? Not sure.

Arrow #3, This is either NMF or completely washed out or bleached by the sun. I can't tell.

I appreciate all your help guys. I am in no way an expert at determining colors in black and white photos.

Last edited:
I have found that the V1 prototype was of bare metal finish initially. She was just painted with RLM76 when these jet engines were attached. Looking at the PC+UA image I would say it seemed to be painted with RLM02 overall rather. Also the band on the fuselage can be noticed ( possible yellow )

Attachments

• Me262 prototype_.jpg
    Me262 prototype_.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 403
I'd go NMF Dirk. Arrow 3 is inconclusive as it looks to me like over-exposure due to sun reflection. I doubt there would have been bands painted on the fuselage for a prototype and would suggest this might be different shades of aluminum? The differnences are quite striking, mind you, but less so in the side on shot.

Dirk, the S1-10 aircraft are series production prototypes rather than the V series which were the Experimental aircraft. Yes there are 2 colour shots of V3, will get thwem scanned...

Good job awaits you with this project but will be very colorful and seen nothing, compared to the colors was the v2 for a propaganda war that is repainted for propaganda by the then common RLM71 RLM 70 and the top and in RLM76 the belly of the plane landing, intrados in Spanish, but RLM02 original mind was full and leave marks in question as I have serious references in aluminum and steel color.
In the MBI book about this book is an explanation of all the models were made from the preporduccion as I have been able to translate

Good job awaits you with this project but will be very colorful and seen nothing, compared to the colors was the v2 for a propaganda war that is repainted for propaganda by the then common RLM71 RLM 70 and the top and in RLM76 the belly of the plane landing, intrados in Spanish, but RLM02 original mind was full and leave marks in question as I have serious references in aluminum and steel color.
In the MBI book about this book is an explanation of all the models were made from the preporduccion as I have been able to translate

I'd be interested is seeing those references if you could share them?

because clearly I can comment on where I got the information, books I have one of crowood aviation series, the other by MBI Publishing, in addition to files on the store

Luftfahrt-Archiv Hafner

the me 262 CD of 345MB, also hope that the month of July to buy the series is

Classic Publications Me262 Vol. 1-4

4 volumes, not only do I collect models but books and records of this type.

emule found in a file that is from 1933 to 1945 all the ordinances of the luftwaffe was divided into 5 files and occupy a total of 2.10 GBytes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back