Me 410.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After finding the info on Tratts Me 410, it really irks me that the myth continues with those bogus markings. And I would have an anyuerism by now if I did mine with that much detail.

It's an interesting choice but I don't think there's any real proof Oblt. Rudolf Abrahamczik ever flew Me 410 W.Nr. 017, V./KG2 U5+FE though. The only evidence is a picture of him standing in front of it with two other Officers of V./KG2 which can be found in the Petrick and Stocker book "Messerschmitt Me 210/Me 410 Hornet."

The chap who posted pictures of his attempt at this Me 410 didn't get it quite right or at least used other research sources, the low visibility intruder camouflage is wrong, the upper surfaces were much lighter and the unit codes were obscured. U5+FE was later lost over London.

An extract from "Intruders Over Britain" by Simon W. Parry:

".... Five nights later on September 27th-28th, another Lancaster returning from Hannover was brought down. Pilot Officer Skipper was flying Lancaster III ED410 of No. 101 Squadron and had safely returned to his base of Ludford Magna at 01.10 hours. Skipper was refused permission to land there as the base had become unservicable and was told to divert to Lindholm. Ten minutes later, whilst over the airfield of Wickenby, Oberleutnant Abrahamczik shot the Lancaster down. None of the eight crew had time to escape before the aircraft crashed and exploded in flames..."

But if you're talking intruder missions you are really talking II./KG51 and the slaughter of the 2nd Bomb Division on April 22nd/23rd 1944...

Makes a change from ZG26 anyway... :D

I just realised: Major Dietrich Puttfarken, leading II./KG51 on the above mentioned intruder raid was reported missing in action this very night/morning sixty five years ago!

Lindholm? In UK? Lancaster base? :shock: How Swedish sounding can a name get on the isles?? Which were based there?

You got it Jan, it's an old Viking town. Remember when you buggers invaded back in the Dark Ages? Well, some of you stayed, and not in Glasgow either!

Er, forget that, here's the correct answer:

Lindholm

There are however plenty of towns in Lancashire/East Anglia with Danish names though. Honest!

Oh, and to make up for it:

RAF Wickenby

Buggers?? I've always thought that our behaviour was exemplary back then. Well, we borrowed some of the islands and thereabouts...

Any which squadrons were based there?

I've got Norwegian blood as well old sport, great-great grandfather.... A relative is doing some ancestry(?) and gone back as far as to the 1700's....

I'll be coming back soon to reclaim my land....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back