ME109e gunsight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bangiepangie

Airman
Mar 23, 2008
Dundee, Scotland
I'm looking for pics of the gunsight mechanism from front/back/side. Preferably close ups.

Is anyone able to help?

Cheers.

Hope these help mate - Revi C/12D gunsights. (From Kenneth A Merrick's 'German Aircraft Interiors 1935-1945')

STA52157.JPG
STA52158.JPG
STA52159.JPG
STA52160.JPG
STA52161.JPG
STA52162.JPG

Yep. In the case of extreme 'G', and certainly in a forced landing, without wheels, that sight will try to modify the frontal area of the cranium !!

Exactly guys!

Sorry no key for the C/12D itself, but by using the key from a similar Revi 16B drawing (plus logic), I make it:

1. Tinted glass retaining screw, 2. Tinted glass plate, 3. Ring sight (with cross hairs), 5. Reflector plate retaining screw, 6. Reflector plate, 8. Bead sight, 9. Bead sight adjustment screws, 13. Objective lenses, 14. Crash padding, 15. Sighting image lens, 16. Light focus lens(?), 17. Bulb housing cover, 18. Light bulb, 19. Dimmer switch, 20. Horizontal adjustment screw, 22. Light bulb housing, 27. Dimmer rheostat, 28. Base plate, 29. Tinted glass pivot mount, 30. Tinted glass protective plate(?)

If anyone can clarify nos.16 and 30 better, or notices any mistakes, please say!

Some more random pics (incl. mount) from same book, plus 2 sketches from M.Hobby publication 'Messerschmitt Bf.109' by B.Pomahab:

STA52197.JPG
STA52198.JPG

STA52199.JPG
STA52200.JPG

STA52201.JPG
STA52202.JPG

Is the sighting image lens (part 15) the part that has the crosshairs which is then projected onto the reflecor?

Also, why are crosshairs projected onto glass better than an iron sight (which wouldnt fail if the bulb went or battery power was lost?)

I've never seen the image format projected on a Revi C/12D sight so can't say unfortunately...

Would like to know the precise function of the lower lens (no.16). It dosen't seem to reflect anything (as the sighting image lens does), and was not fitted to the Revi 16B, hence my guess at a function relating to intensification or refraction of the light bulb light...(?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back