Meeting of the 475 Fighter Group "Planes of Fame" Air Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ontos

Tech Sergeant
Mar 8, 2009
Riverside, California
Saturday my daughter and I went to the gathering of the 475 Fighter Group at the Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino. We met Wheelsup (Brian) there and had a fantastic day. The lecture was given by four of the P-38 fighter Pilots of the 475th and one Crew Chief. I can't think of the words to describe what we felt listening to the events of the war as told by the pilots who were there and flew the missions, I guess what was really eating at me was the knowledge that these great men of a heroic generation are rapidly leaving us along with their stories and words of the past. After the lecture we went out to watch a fly over of the P-38 "Honey Bunny".

After a few photos of the P-38 (123 of them) we again met up with Brian and Greg Pascal. Greg was ever so kind as to give my daughter and I a personal tour of the hangers and area, it was absolutely fantastic, Greg is a very informative and makes a great guide, he explained everything and more about the aircraft , engines and history of the Planes of Fame Museum. OK, I will stop all this jabbering and get to the pictures.

I just received a new lens in the mail on Friday and had a great chance to test it out, so I did get a lot of bad shots but also some good ones,. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8663 A.jpg
    IMG_8663 A.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_8669 A.jpg
    IMG_8669 A.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_8682 A.jpg
    IMG_8682 A.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8686 A.jpg
    IMG_8686 A.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_8687 A.jpg
    IMG_8687 A.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_8691 A.jpg
    IMG_8691 A.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_8693 A.jpg
    IMG_8693 A.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_8700 A.jpg
    IMG_8700 A.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_8701 A.jpg
    IMG_8701 A.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8723 A.jpg
    IMG_8723 A.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8724 B.jpg
    IMG_8724 B.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_8751 A.jpg
    IMG_8751 A.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8756 A.jpg
    IMG_8756 A.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 149
Thanks, it was a great day, it is one thing to just walk around the planes and look at them and another to have someone there who can tell you the history of the aircraft and the building of it or restoration.

Njaco, you know I never even thought of getting pictures of us. I was just so focused on the tour and aircraft, that is pretty lame, I wish I did. We'll be at the Chino Air Show on May 5-6 so I'll get some shots then if Wheels is willing :D

Excellent shots Merv, and I'll bet it was moving to listen to those fellows tell their tales. I have met a few since I have started going to shows and I enjoy it very much. Thank you for sharing sir!:thumbleft: :cool: :thumbright:

Nicely captured, Merv. We should try and get a Chino meet up at some point. I will be there on Saturday. I know Beau was thinking about going as well. I haven't seen Wheels in quite a while. I have plenty of camera gear and friends that can get a shot of all of us.

As an interesting aside, we were frantically trying to get 23 skidoo flying, but just couldn't make it, so we flew Honey Bunnie.

We DID fly 23 Skidoo late Saturday afternoon about the time the museum closed! Go figure. Here we are 70 years later and the crew chief is STILL the critical factor in flightworthiness!

At least the port engine is freshly overhauled now and the oil leaks are buttoned up on the right engine. We'll overhaul it next summer.

Great to see Ontos and Wheelsup! Come see us again guys. I KNOW Wheelsup will, because he is now a Chino volunteer, too!

You guys on the West Coast are so lucky when it comes to the number of airshows you can get to during the year. Very jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back