Messerschmitt Bf110D CyberHobby 1/48 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vesthepes

Airman
May 4, 2010
Novo mesto
Very nice and detailed kit, very pleasant build straight OOB
It represents a rare D-3 fitted with FuG 202 radar operating in St. Trond Belgium 1942

I really like the black color on it and it is mostly the main reason why I chose to do it.
It was painted with gunze and tamiya paints, chipped with alu color under the black one which was scratched away.
Surely there must be many mistakes, I always notice them after I take the photos.
Anyway thanks for watching and feel free to comment...

DSCF5434.jpg

DSCF5440.jpg

DSCF5436.jpg

DSCF5448.jpg

DSCF5449.jpg

DSCF5460.jpg

DSCF5450.jpg

DSCF5454.jpg

DSCF5456.jpg

Should be a folding affair, I believe but not omitted unless this was an exception. Ailerons are not correct either, with both pointing down but otherwise a very nice model.

Nice looking 110D indeed! Love these Nightfighters. In general I think it wasn't all that uncommon for a 110 to have the rear folding canopy piece removed (there's a few good examples from the 1940/1941 Zerstorer period), but I'm not quite sure if, and if so, to what extend this was done on these early night fighters (since they did not have all that much opposition from enemy night fighters/intruders I imagine there wasn't all that much reason to remove the canopy in the freezing cold when chasing bombers @ some 20.000 or so ft). There's a few very nice pictures indeed of this particular kite that might be helpful to establish wether such was the case with this aircraft, such as this one from Luftwaffe Im Focum #04

Attachments

• Bf-110G9_FM.jpg
    Bf-110G9_FM.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Thanks for your comments and interest guys.
@Airframes, Crimea:
The thing about the rear opening canopy is that in the first few photos I forgot it wasn't installed on, I realized that during the shoot and put it on in the closed position. It was never my intention to showcase the AC lacking one and I never saw any photo documentation on Germans rolling without it...Though I imagine it is very possible in nice weather.
Anyway nice you noticed and thanks for the advice on the flaps, I can still correct that.
@jjp_nl: the photo you posted is very similar to the one I have which was my reference during the build. I have it in the Polish Kagero monography, where they labeled the 110 as E-3 but the gun cowling on the ground from your photo prooves them wrong..

Cheers

Yup, pretty sure it's of the 'D' variant, but I can see where Kagero comes from. If their pic doesn't have the removed cowl section in it then it's a pretty good guess to go 'E' variant since way more E's with DB601N engines were made compared to only a few of 'D's with the same DB601N engine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation - I thought it unusual for a night fighter to have the rear canopy section removed, although I have seen it done on a few day fighter in the BoB period. Those are the ailerons by the way - the flaps are below the wing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back