Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

View attachment 354657

On another forum I stumbled upon these photos of a machine belonging to 3.KG(j) 54 (Texas History Photo Collection - Page 2 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum). Evidently, it's B3+HL WNr. 110 943, and there's information about it in one of the Japo books. I assume that the individual aircraft letter "H" was in yellow and the "L" in black, but this is just an educated guess on my part. Any thoughts or information about this Me 262? I'm dying to know!...

Thought i had seen them before ....and i did in 2015, how time flies

Thank you very much GrauGeist for that excellent information! Would you happen to have any thoughts about this Me 262's paint scheme? It's certainly unusual! :)

Thank you very much GrauGeist for that excellent information! Would you happen to have any thoughts about this Me 262's paint scheme? It's certainly unusual! :)
You're very welcome!

Regarding the camouflage, it is a very interesting scheme, but not surprising, as the Me262s toward the last 6 months of the war had some of the most unusal and non-standard schemes of all the Luftwaffe types (except for the night fighters). The pattern looks similar to the other Jabo units, especially ones from this Me262's block number.

I would hazard a guess that it has an RLM 82 pattern over an RLM 76 base, but the thin marbeling looks much darker and may be, perhaps a non-standard gray. The vertical stabilizer is also very interesting, the aircraft had not been in service long enough to have combat damage, but then again, it may have been damaged on the ground and replaced. However, it looks like it's actually painted a solid light color, and not bare metal.

Thank you very much, Grau Geist :) Your interpretation of the paint scheme sounds extremely convincing. One more detail I'm wondering about has to do with the rudder.The rudder appears to be a relatively dark color (RLM 81 or 83?). However, I think I can see the detached rudder trim tab, and it appears lighter than the main part of the rudder. Do you see this too?

The second photo in post #77 shows quite a bit, actually.

Look at the base of the rudder and you'll see the continuation of the camo scheme from the end of the fuselage. The upper portion of the rudder is hard to say what was going on. Now if you look at the joint of the horizontal stabilizer where it attaches to the vertical stabilizer, you'll see that it is camouflaged right up to the rivets. This is what's leading me to suspect that the vertical stabilizer was replaced. In those chaotic days, they were not going to take the time to mask off the vertical stabilizer from the horizontal stabilizer just to paint the vert. stab. a different color.

and if we look at other Jabo Me262s of the same block, they had varying camo schemes that tended to change at the vert. stab. - even the Bf109s and Fw190s did that also, why? I'm not sure...maybe it was harder to reach... :lol:

Something that you may find interesting: back in the 1980's, I worked with a former SS Panzer Grenadier and he recollected how on a few separate occasions, during the last months of the war, nearby Luftwaffe units would come and barter for some of their camouflage paint. So some of these odd or off colors were are seeing on some of these late war aircraft may not even be RLM issued colors.

me262_48.jpg

View attachment 354657

On another forum I stumbled upon these photos of a machine belonging to 3.KG(j) 54 (Texas History Photo Collection - Page 2 - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum). Evidently, it's B3+HL WNr. 110 943, and there's information about it in one of the Japo books. I assume that the individual aircraft letter "H" was in yellow and the "L" in black, but this is just an educated guess on my part. Any thoughts or information about this Me 262? I'm dying to know!...

The original posts cover it pretty well. There is an alternative timeline, that Becker didn't make the emergency landing near Kitzingen, but that he made a practice flight from Giebelstadt to Kitzingen between 0955 and 1105. The aircraft was later crashed by an unknown pilot of 2./KG(J) 54. The result was the same.
Dan O'Connell mentions the code was 'yellow H'.
Cheers
Steve

Dan O'Connel has a well researched book that covers the entire production log of the Me262 from the V1 to the very end - including airframes that were never completed and ones that were destroyed on the assembly line by Allied bombing

Snautzer, the Me 262 in the last photo you posted looks like "White 34" with its dark replacement nose section. This is my the first time I've seen that photo!

Something that you may find interesting: back in the 1980's, I worked with a former SS Panzer Grenadier and he recollected how on a few separate occasions, during the last months of the war, nearby Luftwaffe units would come and barter for some of their camouflage paint. So some of these odd or off colors were are seeing on some of these late war aircraft may not even be RLM issued colors.

Fascinating information! Really makes you wonder...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back