Messerschmitt part to identify

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rocketeer

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2009
Salisbury
Any ideas anyone please?
I thought it was at first a nose cone tip from a Me262. However, by that stage of the war, the Germans were censoring aircraft data plates and each factory used a 3 letter identifier.

The German part numbering was usually easy to understand...i.e. R8-111- for He111, and R8-190 for Fw190....you get the idea!!!?

Anyway, this has eluded my attempts at id'ing!

Attachments

• P1010744.jpg
    P1010744.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 201
  • P1010745.jpg
    P1010745.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 205
I'll take a SWAG (scientific wild-assed guess) and say nacelle cover
the hole might be access to a bleed nut or adjuster of some description

and jolly big they are too!!!
it is very similar to the 262 nose cap.....i originally thought it was from a bullet nose for an engine

Despite the unusual addition of the data plate, looks at first glance like half a Bf 109 spinner, complete with muzzle for the nose firing cannon.
What puts that mostly in question ( to me) is the positon of the hole for the prop blade, and the fact that it looks like it would be a two blader...

Despite the unusual addition of the data plate, looks at first glance like half a Bf 109 spinner, complete with muzzle for the nose firing cannon.
What puts that mostly in question ( to me) is the positon of the hole for the prop blade, and the fact that it looks like it would be a two blader...

if you look again at the curve do you think it looks like it would be three parts to complete the spinner ? if thats what it is.
were BF 109 spinners in three sections ?
also the props look very close to the tip of the spinner

Good point karl, you could be right. I've only seen one 2 bf 109 spinners 'in the flesh' myself, but don't remember seeing any individual section joins...the muzzle was a one piece tube however. Wish I could find the photo I took of one of them...

After looking through my stuff on '109's, I'd say definitely NOT a 109 or later prop, precisely from the shape and position of the prop holes...if it is a spinner at all, could be from a Bf 108 (shape and prop position look about right) - were these fitted with a nose cap for oiling, or attachment?

Looks pretty close to a 108 spinner
It maybe that the end cap is missing? it could be a 2 piece spinner and there looks like a screw in the same place on the photo.

Attachments

• 108 spinner.JPG
    108 spinner.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 96

Users who are viewing this thread

Back