Mid-air collision at Duxford- Mustang lost/ Skyraider damaged! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
Reports of an incident at an airshow suggest a mid-air collision has taken place.

Duxford Imperial War Museum has confirmed an incident took place but has yet to give details.

The museum is hosting its annual and hugely popular Flying Legends event this weekend.

It is thought the mid-air collision involved two planes, one being a P-51 Mustang. Only one plane was reported to have got into difficulty.

The pilot is said to have parachuted to safety and the pilot of the other plane was uninjured.

Eyewitnesses reported two planes "wobbling" in mid-air resulting in one of them losing part of a wing.

Mid-air collision at Duxford | World Warbird News

D@mn ! I had a premonition in the early hours of this morning that a Mustang crashed at Duxford!! Scary !
Gla to know there are no casualties, but sad about BBD, and the possible 'bad press' for airshows and warbirds in particular.
No doubt Gary, Tony or Roman will provide details.

Another accident, hope this is the last this year.
Losing warbirds is becoming too frequent and that we can't afford.

Wow another warbird lost, such a shame. If it is truely Big Beautiful Doll then its another photo I will have to treasure as there will be no more. :salute: to the skyraider pilot on successfully landing his plane and that no one got hurt.

heres the pic of the skyraider: note the tailwheel also.

Attachments

• IMG_5873.jpg
    IMG_5873.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 255
BBD was the same Mustang that featured in Saving Private Ryan.

I had that thought in the back of my mind when I first saw the thread, this is really a sad day for the P-51 lovers.
Big Beautiful Doll was indeed a beautiful doll.

Last edited:
This is being posted on the Classic Aviation Facebook page as a pic just before the accident. Its the middle P-51 that collided with the Skyraider.

Attachments

• 235607_n.jpg
    235607_n.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 217
It is so terrible when accidents happen, but, when you have such beautiful aircraft, no one can appreciate it unless they hear it, smell it, and see it fly with such beauty. Cant respect them as much when they on static display. BBD was a Gorgeous aircraft it WILL be remembered by thousands of endearing warbird enthusiasts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back