MIL Spec performance vs civilian

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

grampi

Senior Airman
Aug 22, 2013
I'm curious how much the performance of a given A/C improves with all of the guns, ammo, armament, etc, removed as compared to the same A/C in a wartime configuration. For example, how much better does a P-51D climb in a civilian configuration as compared to the wartime version? One would think they would be considerably lighter in the civilian form...

But they're stuck with low lead 100 octane fuel (blue gas) which effectively limits the P-51, for example, to 55 inches boost. You're right, though, it would be neat comparing numbers at like boost settings. I would think the biggest difference would be climb, speed not so much.

Civilian aircraft would also be limited in the way the engine is handled after all, in the military you don't pay the repair bills

Edit I went to see the BBF the other day and all the Merlin spitfires, Hurricanes and the Lancaster use the Merlin 45 as it makes a huge difference to the maintenance workload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back