Military Order of the Purple Heart - 226 Years Ago Today

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
The original Purple Heart, designated as the Badge of Military Merit, was established by George Washington—then the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army—by order from his Newburgh, New York headquarters on 7 August 1782.

The actual order includes the phrase.....

"Let it be known that he who wears the military order of the purple heart has given of his blood in the defense of his homeland and shall forever be revered by his fellow countrymen."

Can't say it any better than that!

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

TO

If you really want to be hit in "the gut" with reality, walk through a ward
in a military hospital that has amputees. This is sickening..... to see so
many young men..... 18, 19, 20 years old, missing limbs. They can wear
their PH very proudly.... My hat's off to them :salute:

Charles

As a recipient of the Purple Heart, I share with all who have been there and done that, and I salute each and every one who earned it in a combat situation...

Giving ones blood and/or ones life in the cause of their country garners them a global respect that few feats can accomplish.... Thats why I still wave at guys who have Purple Heart license plates....

Indeed. I have shaken hands with many a PH recipient in parking lots. I see the plate and tell them I want to shake their hand. It is followed with a look in the eye and a thanks. I was fortunate not to get a purple heart in my time, but saw many who did. Just lucky I guess. I had some nicks and grazes, but never anything too serious. I salute those that were combat wounded. All gave some, some gave all. :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back