Military Power Equivalent Engine Ratings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Darthtabby

Airman
May 22, 2021
I have been collecting data on the maximum outputs of various WWII aircraft engines, but reading discussions on this forum have made me question my approach. If use of War Emergency Power was largely avoided even in combat, then it seems like the military power rating (and its equivalents in other countries) might actually be a better point of comparison. However I am finding it difficult to find and verify the military equivalent power output for most British, German, and Soviet engines. From what I can tell the listed ratings for British, German, and Soviet engines are often for Take Off or War Emergency equivalent power settings (or if they are listing military equivalent power settings that isn't made very clear). Does anyone have detailed data on British, German, or Soviet engines that could be used to determine their output on military equivalent power settings? I am interested in most of the major engine types used by combat aircraft (bombers as well as fighters) except for the DB 601 and DB 605 since I was able to find datasheets that included military equivalent power settings for those two engines.

We've had some discussion a long time ago here.
BTW - if the war emergency (= overboosting) was available, pilots were readily using it during the combat. Even if it was not officially promulgated.

We've had some discussion a long time ago here.
BTW - if the war emergency (= overboosting) was available, pilots were readily using it during the combat. Even if it was not officially promulgated.

One opinion I saw expressed was that pilots operating close to home would likely use WEP or equivalent capabilities more readily then those operating far from base.

Anyway it looks like I had a poor understanding of what the military throttle setting was. The explanation of power settings in my borrowed copy of America's Hundred Thousand uses an example of an aircraft with limitations of five minutes at WEP and fifteen minutes at military. But going by the discussion you linked use of military power was also supposed to be limited to five minutes on many aircraft. At which point maybe I should just compare the ratings for WEP and equivalent settings for the engines that have them.

Thanks for helping to clarify matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back