Millville Wings Wheels 2008

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I've just been able to confirm that I can make it to Wings and Wheels on Sunday! Taking a few cameras and will bring back pics including the great little museum they have there. New this year is a type of NASCAR race - they just built a racetrack next to the airfield and they're combining the 2 events. This should be great!!

Will do, Airframes. I didn't think I was gonna make it this year (its been a TOUGH year!) but some things came through at the last minute and its all good. A buddy is bringing an arsenal of cameras so I should have some good pics to post.

...you mean, people go places these days without an arsenal of cameras???? Wow...hard for me to picture that.....(really bad pun intended)!!!

:lol: Have fun!

If your camera bag isn't at least 1/4 of your body weight, you aren't trying! ;) I never thought I would be "that guy" carrying multiple camera bodies and lenses. I'm about 150 lbs and the camera bag is about 40. It's hard to see the size of the backpack in the photo, but it is a pretty good size. That is why my son carries his own chair!

Attachments

• FatherandSon.jpg
    FatherandSon.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 95
Hi Eric,

>If your camera bag isn't at least 1/4 of your body weight, you aren't trying! ;) I never thought I would be "that guy" carrying multiple camera bodies and lenses. I'm about 150 lbs and the camera bag is about 40.

Out of curiosity, what's in there? For me, it's my new Sony Alpha 700 with an old 120-300 mm 5.6/6.8 Minolta lens (and the much lighter 16-105 mm 3.5/5.6 kit lens), plus the Panasonic DMC FZ-30 (35-420 mm equivalent), along with Nikon field glasses (8x25 mm) and some food and drink. Additionally I carry a Panasonic FX-07. By far the heaviest single item is a step ladder (2 steps) which also doubles as a chair. With the emergency of digital cameras people tend to raise over their heads in inopportune moments, I think I'll need a 3-step ladder. Probably also will help to reduce (but unfortunately not eliminate) the impact of speakers set up in front of the airshow audience ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

What's in there? For starters, the Nikon D50 and D80 bodies. The D80 also has a battery grip attached with 2 batteries. 2 spare batteries and about 16-20GB of SD cards. Then there are the lenses, Sigma 50-500, Nikkor 70-30, Nikon 18-200 AF-S, Nikkor 28-80. Add to that, lens cleaning stuff, bandana, a couple of camera tools, press pass, plastic bags and at least 4 liters of water. Obviously, the water goes away throughout the day, which does lighten the load.

Hi Evan,

>Sigma 50-500

Ah, I bet that one is really heavy! :)

>press pass

Probably more weight-efficient a stepladder for getting the speakers out of the picture ;)

>at least 4 liters of water

Wow, I wish we had that kind of weather over here! I hardly ever need (or carry!) more than 1.5 L. (In fact, our kind of weather tends to provide extra water when it's needed least ...)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Damn but I can see why you need it all. I only carry one Rebel XTi with an 18-55 and a 55-250 IS (both Canon lenses) and some waterproofs etc.

Nice pic up there of you Eric and look forward to seeing some pics Njaco.

Most definately will get pics. My buddy is bringing the cameras. haven't gotten my digital straightened out since Reading so he is bringing a couple digitals and I believe a Nikkon.

Eric, what is the best shutter speed? I think my friend is gonna use something like a 100 or 1000 - hell if I know. I can distinguish dog breeds but this camera thingy gets me discombobulated.

Depends on the focal length and if the lens has VR (Vibration Reduction). A good rule of thumb is use a shutter speed of 1/<focal length> for best results, but that can vary widely depending on conditions and lighting. It's best to experiment. For props, you want slower shutter speeds to get the prop blur. For jets, you can go to 1/1000th or even higher and get great results.

Just got back and......

it was the worst time I've ever had at an airshow!!!

I'll explain later when I'm calmed down and can think alittle but here is an example.

First pic is as close as I could get to ANY aircraft!

Because (2d pic) this is what greeted us when we got there. What a cluster****!!!

The last pic is for Charles. About the only nice thing I saw. While post more pics (of what I have :() alittle later. I'm steamed!!!

Attachments

• 100_1622.jpg
    100_1622.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_1580.jpg
    100_1580.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 100_1610.jpg
    100_1610.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 81
Looks like an auto show, with a couple of planes to draw a few more people. Sorry to hear that, man. Swing over the Dallas way next month (11th) and we'll make up for your loss. (in planes, Lucky....planes.)

Personally, I just leave my camera on the sports setting, or landscape if I want a really deep depth of field. I was never any good at math, or remembering numbers, so I rarely venture into the manual settings on my Rebel XT....mainly only go up there if I need a long shutter, usually for "bulb" after-dark timed shots.

I hate when they do that. They throw a couple of airplane flypasts at either higher altitude or really far away to add "airshow" to the event. Or even worse, the last few years of the Van Nuys "Airshow", which was nothing more than a big gathering of people looking at static displays, and no flying...

Just got back and......

it was the worst time I've ever had at an airshow!!!

I'll explain later when I'm calmed down and can think alittle but here is an example.

First pic is as close as I could get to ANY aircraft!

Because (2d pic) this is what greeted us when we got there. What a cluster****!!!

The last pic is for Charles. About the only nice thing I saw. While post more pics (of what I have :() alittle later. I'm steamed!!!

Njaco,

What a RIPOFF!!! I too was there yesterday. Never, in fifty years have I seen such a bad show.

I feel like I spent $30 for the promotion of the speedway. Just the worst, how could they place the crowd behind the racetrack? With the racket of the cars that you couldn't see.

Could not see any planes on static.

Could not see planes on runway.

Planes just flew circles arround the feild.

Will NOT BE BACK !!!

Bob Wescott

Njaco,

Was originally planning to go. Things didn't work out because of a busy weekend.

But after what you're telling us, I guess it DID work out. At least the Reading WW II Airshow was good, even though it was almost 100 degrees. :)

Sorry to hear about your disappointing day.

TO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back