Mirage III C E 1/48?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
What are the Hobby Boss and Italeri kits like?
Hobby Boss' C is new tool, but Italeri's E, is the old Esci, re-worked, right?

I think you're right old chap. The Italeri kit looks reasonable from what I've seen, being one of the later ESCI releases as far as I know, and a cockpit set is available from Neomega, direct at around £13.
The Hobby Boss kit looks excellent, and got very good reviews when first released, being the first of their 1/48th kits some years back.
The Academy kit is very basic, with a cockpit designed to accept the crude pilot figure supplied, and a one piece canopy. It could, of course, be improved with a scratch-built cockpit (which is what I'll do with mine), or by adapting the above mentioned Neomega set. Externally, the surface detail is well done, but plain wheel wells and an open exhaust outlet. But then, it's only around £8 or £9.
If I was to get another Mirage, it would be the Hobby Boss kit.

Yep, so will mine, although I'll probably have to make my own decals, as the set I wanted is still out of stock, and might be out of production. Fortunately, I have some spare French roundels, so only need to make the coloured fin 'arrow head' flashes and badges, and the fuselage numbers.
I can post some pics of the Academy parts if it'll help old boy, but I'd suggest the Hobby Boss kit as a better option overall.

Can't remember the details without checking, but the one with the red arrow head tail flash, and the crest in the center, with outline numbers on the mid fuselage, and the red 'flashes' around the intakes. Saw one like this at RAF Acklington, back in the late 1960s, and I've got a profile somewhere. Haven't got any colour photos though .... (Oops! Nearly!)

Something similar to this one old chap?

21_134_zps28255316.jpg

That looks like the one old boy, although in my profile, I think the crest is a different colour, and I think the numbers are just behind the intakes, with the stylised 'Mirage IIIC' logo beneath the cockpit.

I think that's one of the options in the Hobby Boss kit, although a build article I have mentions an inaccuracy in the decals somewhere, from what I remember. If you want me to dig out the review, and the build article, let me know - I should have them somewhere relatively handy.

I believe that's the one old boy. Got a profile in a modelling magazine article, but nearly all photos I've found are the later, camouflage schemes. The annoying thing is, I had a number of pics, in B&W and colour, I took at air shows in the 1960s, but they were left at my Dad's place and, like everything else, where gone when the family cleared the house after his demise.

Not sure old chap, not really 'clued-up' on relatively modern jets, particularly French ones. I've got some info on them somewhere, but not sure where !
I have a book on the way to me covering the Mirage III and 5 family, but not sure if the F.1 is included. If it is, I'll see what I can find for you.

The Mirage F1C (C - chasse - fighter) , total number of assembled - 162, 79 of them as Mirage F1C-200 with a probe for air fueling.

The Mirage F1CT - tatical assault plane. A converted Mirage F1C-200 with improved avionics to the CR ( recce ) standard.

- changing of the Cyrano IV radar with the newer Cyrano IVM-R.
- upgrading of the guidance and navigation systems and adding of a laser rangefinder.
- attaching of the Martin-Baker Mk 10 ejector seat.
- attaching of the newer warning systems of the radar beam irradiation,
- adding a decoy launcher for deploying chaff and infrared decoys.

Mirage F1C 23/12-YB EC1/12 at the Cambresis airfield.

Mirage F1C_12YB_1.jpg

Mirage F1C_12YB_2.jpg

Mirage F1C-200 ...

Mirage F1C-200.jpg

Mirage F1CR ...

Mirage F1CR.jpg

Mirage F1CT ...

Mirage F1CT.jpg

The image source: the Internet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back