Mitchell B-25 RCAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kemp

Recruit
May 10, 2017
Niagara region Canada
These were in my a box of my fathers photos. He took them while stationed at RCAF Abbotsford air base from 1943 to 1945. The advanced training for bomber pilots were with the B-24 and 25. There are more shots of the same plane that I will post in the future.
13772155754_0f884e47db_o.jpg
14241736795_83a94244bc_o.jpg

Very nice. Looking forward to the others. I lived on the lower mainland for 27yrs., 90 miles upcoast of Vancouver

Fubar57: Not certain if my father had any thing to do with the planes, but I can remember him saying the Mitchell was a shaky plane and the Liberator a pig to fly. No idea if he actually flew but he did mention a sheep skin ' plug in heated flying suit that was lifted from his locker at base before he was discharged. He trained and and served at the RCAF Dunnville Base in Ontario then off to BC. Rank and was flight lieutenant as I can remember. The Canadian Warplane Heritage fly a B-25 out of their Hamilton location. Twice last year I have had the pleasure to see it fly over our home!

Twice last year I have had the pleasure to see it fly over our home!
And I had the pleasure to fly in it:mrgreen:.
Not that shaky in modern days, but still very noisy even without the s-stacks.
BTW the a/c in the first photo (U) is one of this "hybrid" (I call them so) B-25D blocks 30 or 35 with the non staggered side gunner windows, higher rear gunner canopy and rear turret. All 4 gunners were in the back of the plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back