Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
Well boys -NZ5517 needs a friend and I think this will serve as good "company"

I need help though - I need a decent scheme for this bird .I was reading recently in 'aeroplane monthly' of a Short S.23 G-AEUH 'Corio' flying boat shot down early in WWII by Japanese zero's having been inspired I'm wondering is it possible to build one of these zero's with this variant of the Zero?

If not Il proberly just go with whats in the boz or something

Also apologies for having zero knowledge on Japanese planes

Heres the kit and a scan of the Short S.23 shot down (Gonna be building that somewhere down the line for sure)

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 343
Hi Daniel,

Off hand if I would say that it would not be easy to convert this to an A6M2 zero or A6M3 zero if you are correct on it being at the beginning of the war. The A6M5 didnt start rolling out till March of 1944. Below is the reason why I would say its not easy. An A6m2 model 21 zero had one exhaust pipe. The A6M5 had individual exhaust pipes. Converting would be very hard. Though I will help as much as I can if you wish.

Paul

Attachments

• model 21.JPG
    model 21.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 326
Paul... You never cease to amaze me with the info you can come up with !

Charles

I guess thats the reason why I always say Im not an expert in any thing. I keep jumping from campaign to campaing. Battle to battle. What ever pops up that intersts me at the time I guess. :oops:

Many thanks for your help Paul! re-read the article and it was early 1942 (late january)

Il take a photo later of the kits engine cowling which is by far the worst piece of injection molded plastic I've ever seen (also proberly the worst kit I've ever scene) If not then it was good to ask! and fail than not ask at all .
May do something similar to the box art .Starting to develop abit of a liking toward japanese birds.... oh no! (there goes the bank account!)

Many thanks for your help Paul! re-read the article and it was early 1942 (late january)

Il take a photo later of the kits engine cowling which is by far the worst piece of injection molded plastic I've ever seen (also proberly the worst kit I've ever scene) If not then it was good to ask! and fail than not ask at all .
May do something similar to the box art .Starting to develop abit of a liking toward japanese birds.... oh no! (there goes the bank account!)

I would stick with the A6M5 configuation. It gives you a choice of 3 major sub types. Model 52A-C series. Or if you want you can go extreme with a A6M5d-S though this was the unoffical title. This version was a night fighter though even now its hard to find info on.

Question for you Dariel,

By chance did the box come with any info on the squadron the art work is done after. I dont reconize the squadron for a naval squadron but reminds me more of army markings. Just Curious!!!

Paul, could it be a navy plane, but with ground colors? Since this is a late '44 or '45 plane, most of the IJN carriers were sunk so they painted their planes to ground colors.

Just wondering if this is a possibility.

Paul, could it be a navy plane, but with ground colors? Since this is a late '44 or '45 plane, most of the IJN carriers were sunk so they painted their planes to ground colors.

Just wondering if this is a possibility.

Hi Thorlifter.

The colors are correct from what I can tell of the time period. Im confused on the tail markings which usually identify the squadron the unit flew from. I cant find a match at least so far. Like you said the Japanese went to green aircraft because most where stationed on land bases later in the war. The combination of kill markings and the unusual tail markings are really baffleing to me. The tail marking would be the key to identify the unit, history and if lucky the pilot or pilots that flew this aircraft. When I say pilots I mean not all pilots had there own plane but had to share aircraft with other pilots. Usually from what Ive read it was rare for a pilot to have to share his aircraft if he had many kills from the reading Ive done.

Paul

Daniel, see if someone's got the old Hasegawa kit (70's version).
It came with all three cowling types (A6M2,3 and 5), being the same kit sold in different boxings (with appropriate decals for the box version).

Possibly their '90s kit has all three too..? (I haven't seen it)

We do have a similar thing 'Trademe' (got a sold a while back and really has made a turn for the worst)

Question for you Dariel,

By chance did the box come with any info on the squadron the art work is done after. I dont reconize the squadron for a naval squadron but reminds me more of army markings. Just Curious!!!

Well looking at the kit today , It appears it doesn't have any profile views etc .Nothing on the lousy instructions either (1 Sheet) I don't remember if it ever came with them (brought off trademe) although it may have :oops: All I remember is it was insanely overpriced and I was the idiot who brought it .Will have a good look tomorrow for it though and get back to you

Daniel, see if someone's got the old Hasegawa kit (70's version).
It came with all three cowling types (A6M2,3 and 5), being the same kit sold in different boxings (with appropriate decals for the box version).

Possibly their '90s kit has all three too..? (I haven't seen it)

Will keep an eye out ,wish I had one .Only other Zero I got is an academy one

Dammit! forgot to take a photo of the cowling :oops: Will try and remember tomorrow ,its horrible! I think Il actually try and get a replacement from someone

For your info....January 42 would have been an A6M2 Model 21 Zero in standard overall Grey Green.

Yet to see a photo of that box art A6M5 I think it was a training Group...will check further also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back