Mk.IX Spitfire-421 Sqn 1944 specifically! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Okay all you Mk nuts I need help!
This photo, of a Mk.IX?
Is it a true depiction of the Mk.IX around May 1944?
I have a rego number MJ928 in particular but no Code for this 421 Sqn pilot.
JF Davidson Flying Officer was shot down May 21, 1944, taken prisoner and can find no further information.

Thinking I can use it for a subject GB50 and beyond!!!!!!!?
Using the ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX # 48061kit as it has all the early and later body parts!

Spitfire-LFIX-RCAF-421Sqn-AUH.JPG

I have that photo in a book and it is captioned as a Mk XVI (basically a IX with a Packard Merlin) s/n SM309 taken on March 15, 1945. It's a typical 2nd TAF scheme with black spinner and no Sky ID band. 421 had Mk IXs on strength in May 1944 so your ICM kit should work.

I'd suggest your rig would be a fairly typical pre-D-Day scheme with a Sky spinner and fuselage band like this:

01.jpg

I'll do some more digging and see what else I might have.

Do you have decals for this beast Bill, specifically the squadron emblem on the nose?

No, nothing at all, just researching for now.
I know they had an Indian head for their emblem.
But it's not clear if it had Rounded rudder top, or pointed?
Clipped wings, full wing or extended?
So many variations. I was hoping serial would clear that up!

If and when you decide, this is yours, for only.........................oh....................$1,000,000.00CAN, so pretty much free in real money. They sheet got wet but I have used some of the decals without problem. Note there is a white background to the right of the native indigenous indian head and it might be best to clear coat both

1613957678549.png

Almost certainly not clipped wings Bill based on period pics. Later, when they got the XVI's those had clipped wings.

Dont know if it will help or confuse matters Bill but ive seen a picture of 421 sqn spitfires taken in France 1944 and they had round rudders and wingtips ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back