Model building

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woody

Master Sergeant
Jan 17, 2011
IL.
My LHS asked me to help with a model building get together there is 14 people signed up so how could i make it interesting.

Everyone has to hop up and down on their left foot while giving their presentation.
Seriously, calm down. Everyone there is a modeler, so I would start with a round table on basic interests and then go from there. There are many cross interests even with the car guys, start slow and let the modeling happen.

There will probably, hopefully, be one or two who have never built before. So for them you want to be prepared to show the basic materials and their use. Just have a spru with parts attached, show how to remove the parts with the spru cutter to keep damage to a minimum. Have two halves of any big or small parts, even a couple of spare bombs. Glue one set, show the use of clamps. Then demonstrate the finishing of the seam on the already glued part. This will be a revelation to newbees. This will be enough for most starters to get their kits going.

Like Paul says, let everyone express their area of interest. This will also get everyone chatting it up and will see how much the same all building is. Plan on a couple more meets with these new people, and the other experienced ones that show up. This is because If they Do come, they are willing to share.

I attended meetings in San Jose with Rodney Williams as the Zen master. There was the whole range of building, WWI, WWII, military, fantasy, the lot. We all shared and learned. I would like to do the same thing sometime.

Good luck to you matey.

Absolutely, I was probably too flip with my first response. Bill is correct, be prepaired to show some of the basics just in case that there are newcomers to the hobby. I actually envy you, I wish that there was a hobby group in my area. Take a moment for yourself and remember that we all want to learn. That is the best way to look at it.
Good luck!

Too much of a conflict of interests there Jan- those sorts of models are much more fun to ply with than the scale plastic ones! :)

If you're 'chairing' the meeting, then first things first - introduce yourself, with a very brief background of your modelling experience/interests, then invite the participants to do the same.
Having established who's who, what's what, and what the level of experience is (on average), then discuss what the attendees expect and require from the meetings to follow.
From that, draw up an agreed rough outline plan/agenda for future meetings, to include a programme of sorts covering the requirements and expectations gleaned from the first questions.

Before any basic construction begins, for those new to the hobby or fairly raw beginners, decide on a simple, inexpensive kit which all can build (in stages) at successive meetings, with the aim being for all to finish their model at the end of the agreed period (of meetings). This item should be just one in a varied programme.
When commencing construction, emphasise the need for planning the build, which includes thorough study of the instructions and construction steps, checking for possible problem areas by test fitting, planning the painting stages and so on.
This all assumes that, in 'normal modelling', research into the subject has been undertaken first. (explain the need for this - for example, to avoid errors in colour schemes, markings, where an example might be a Bf109G6 in Battle of Britain colours, finished this way due to the modeller not having the knowledge of the history and service of the subject to portray an accurate scheme, where research would have provided that information, thereby avoiding a possible expensive mistake, and, more importantly, avoiding possible disappointment or discouragement. ).
This should be mentioned in the first build session, but covered by the fact that the subject/colour scheme etc have already been decided upon, and therefore the research is a given (i.e. provided by the 'instructor').
With newcomers, or even those who have a few models to their credit, tactfully explain that the aim is to get the basics right first (planning, parts preparation, joints and seams, detail painting, finish painting, decals etc), and that subjects such as 'weathering', extra detailing and the use of after-market products such as resin and pe can come later. And the catch-phrase (courtesy of Wojtek) - 'Modelling is not a race'.
The first part of this first meeting (the intros and discussions), will take up the bulk of the allotted time, but will create interest and a foundation to work on, which can of course be changed or adapted as time progresses. Better to plan it now, than founder about and have potential 'members' lose interest.
And, of course, the existence of this fine forum can be stressed !

Thanks alot for all the helpful input i did take notes. I will make sure to have donuts and coffee but really the beer and lassies could be more interesting.

Give the beer to the women, (we all look better the more they drink), keep the donuts and peanuts for late-nite munchies.

Sounds good Jerry!

And jokes aside, maybe have theme nights, or organise group builds like we have here.
Read in an old modelling magazine once where a club had a 'buddy build' contest - 2 modellers working together on the one kit. In the case of the article subject (a 1/32 Revell Me 262B-1a/U1 made by 2 brothers), one did the construction, the other the painting. Just an idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back