Model Kits - Accessories?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JG33

Recruit
Dec 2, 2013
South Australia
I have the following kits to build but as a beginner I was wondering whether it is worthwhile purchasing some accessories to add more detail or just use what is in the boxes. If purchasing accessories what would people recommend?

The model kits are:
1:72 Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MkVb
1:72 Airfix Avro Lancaster B.MkI/III

I decided to get the Spit as my first project because like I said, I am a beginner!

Cheers

Do the Spitfire first! The Lancaster is actually quite a challenging model, not least because of all those clear parts.
I would just build what is in the box if you are just starting out in the hobby. There's a lot to learn and just like anything else you can't learn it all from a book but only by practical experience.
Once you feel confident with your building and painting/finishing techniques you might want to consider going for those added extras.
Cheers
Steve

Fully agree with Steve. Best to take it in stages, get comfortable and satisfied with the results of several OOB (out of the box) builds and then try accessories. Most tend to favour advanced modeling techniques and can be pricey.

I'd also suggest you try scratch building some parts yourself using inexpensive materials like plastic card and rod which are available in any store that calls itself a hobby shop. Stretched sprue is also handy for scratch building and comes free with every kit!

Yep, got to agree about accessories. I've been modeling in 1/48 for several years and have only just begun to look at P.E. and I couldn't even think of doing it in 1/72 though others handle it very well. You've already taken the first step; asking advice. Now take the next step and create a Start to Build Thread and you'll receive all the help you need, be it colors or construction tips. When in doubt, ask questions before committing yourself.

Geo

Like Fubar57 said start on one and start a thread for it in the Start to Finish Build section of the Modeling section. You will get all the help and advice you'll need. If it were me, I'd start the Spitfire first. It's a smaller kit and easier to handle. Patience.............................is going to be your biggest asset. If you run into a problem, just ask and you'll find some is always willing to help out.

Oooooooo, you're asking for it to add photo etch in 1/72nd................ it can be trying at times, and more often than Not.

I speak from experience on a Boulton Paul Defiant!

Thanks all for the advice.

I actually purchased the Spitfire after the Lancaster was given to me as a gift because I wanted something less complicated to learn on first. "Out of the box" build it is then - no accessories! My biggest problem at the moment is time. I hope to get started soon but I suspect the winter months will be more productive.

I apologise in advance for any strange questions I may ask but as a beginner I'll rely on all the help I can get from experienced modellers.

Cheers

There are a lot of very talented builders on this site, check out their work and you will learn some handy tips. Just remember though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with building a model straight OOB - its how I do it!

'Strange' questions come under the category of anything to do with Jan (Lucky 13), which, no doubt, you will discover as time goes by. Did I just hear Bogart there ..........

Yep, got to agree about accessories. I've been modeling in 1/48 for several years and have only just begun to look at P.E. and I couldn't even think of doing it in 1/72 though others handle it very well. You've already taken the first step; asking advice. Now take the next step and create a Start to Build Thread and you'll receive all the help you need, be it colors or construction tips. When in doubt, ask questions before committing yourself.

Geo

Oh, the thought of PE in 1/72 makes my head HURT!!! I can barely deal with 1/48 PE.

I would agree with all the folks here. Do a couple OOBs first. Get your basic skills down then try a simple set of accessories. Also, review some of the build threads here and see what can be done with simpler scratch building.

Now, did I see something about bacon? Mmmmmm, bacon!

I started with doing out of box builds at first and worked into the detail kits. Eduard makes some nice PE detail kits. When starting with PE, there are kits that have basic PE parts which is best to start with. Eduard and Airwaves have some nice basic PE kits. They will include the dash, seat belts and a couple of other details. The larger kits will include many small details like knobs, levers, handles, etc. The larger detail kits have twice the amount of parts and can be extremely difficult for beginners who are not versed in doing PE. Practice with the basic PE kits first. If you go to Eduard's website: Eduard You can see the detail kits for a particular model and they allow you to view the instructions in PDF format so you can get an idea whats involved in installing the kit. Here is a link that shows how to install PE parts: http://www.scalemodelguide.com/construction/techniques/photo-etched-parts-models/

Another detail option is resin pieces. These are parts cast in resin but have a lot of fine details. The pieces replace or add to model parts and to really show off the detail is done by painting and highlighting the parts. Resin can be a challenge because it is very brittle so you need to use care when cutting or shaping. The parts usually come on a tree but need to be sawed or slowly cut off by scoring. Using side cutters or trying to snap them off will damage and crack the parts. Very small tipped brushes are needed to paint some of the finer details. Here is a link on working with resin parts: http://www.scalemodelguide.com/construction/techniques/working-with-resin-parts/

Both of the above are attached with CA glues (superglues). I use stainless steel dental picks to apply the CA glues. You can control the amount and placement very well with a pick. You can bend some of the pick tips to aid in getting into hard to reach areas. Cleaning the picks is easy, After the excess CA has dried just scrape it off with a used xacto blade.

Welcome and enjoy.

Last edited:
Just a for instance. If you look up Wayne Little on any of the group builds, look at his "in progress" photos of his builds in a GB (Group Build) thread, you must make note, he doesn't use after market accessories, or very seldom. Pay close attention how Any of the builders clean die marks, seams after gluing, and how pieces are aligned before attaching. It's not rocket science, just methodical.

Arrrrr, you'll be right mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back