Model Master paint.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Just a quick question. Most of you know I need to change from Humbrol after 50 years, and, along with ordering the excellent Xtracolour paints, I aim to try some of the Model Master range.
I have to do this 'on line' and therefore will not be able to physically see the paints, apart from the unreliable colour swatches shown on web sites.
I notice that some paints are shown as 'flat', others as gloss, and some with neither description. I'm presuming that 'flat' is being used incorrectly for 'matt', but some colours, such as the RAF camouflage colours, do not have a description, other than an FS number, which is meaningless when it comes to WW2 RAF paints, as they didn't have an FS number!
So, which are matt, which are gloss and so on ?
Also, the metallic paints appear to be severely restricted, apart from spray cans, which are not very good for modelling in anything below 1/24th scale. Does anyone know of a decent silver, or aluminium, or both, in this range, other than the sprays ?
Unfortunately, the Xtarcolour metallics I want are out of stock at the moment.
Thanks in advance for any help, advice or suggestions (only polite suggestions please - and yes, Jan, that means you too!)

Thanks my friend, but that was one of the listings I looked at, which was even more confusing than the supplier's web-sites I looked at!
Apart from an inability to spell correctly, the originators provide links which show the same paints, but no further information as to matt, gloss, semi-matt, buffing, non-buffing etc!
However, I did notice the metallics, and have since laboriously checked one supplier's web site, and found 'chrome silver' and a couple of others, although no mention of whether these are the 'buffing' or 'non buffing' variety!
No problem though, I'll order some sample colours and see what they're like. It's much easier when the paint can actually be seen, rather than a colour swatch and name!

I understand. However there are written down kinds of them in their fields. Either the matt or the gloss.... if there is no info on them it may be a semi-gloss colour.

mmcolours.jpg

And I don't think MM offers metalic enamels that are for polishing or something like that. It would have to be metalizers but not paints or enamels.

Last edited:
Here is the list of metalizers of the MM with info on buffing....

Aluminum Plate Metalizer.........Model Master 1401
Burnt Metal Metalizer..............Model Master 1415
Exhaust Metalizer...................Model Master 1406
Aluminium (non-buffing) Metalizer.....Model Master 1418
Burnt Iron (non-buffing) Metalizer.....Model Master 1424
Dark Anodonic Gray Metalizer...........Model Master 1412
Gun Metal (non-buffing) Metalizer.....Model Master 1423
Brass (non buff) Metalizer...............Model Master 1417
Steel (non-buffing) Metalizer...........Model Master 1420
Stainless Steel Metalizer....Model Master 1402
Magnesium Metalizer.........Model Master 1403
Titanium Metalizer............Model Master 1404
Gun Metal Metalizer..........Model Master 1405

Thinner for metalizers.......Model Master 1419
Sealer for Metalizer..........Model Master 1409

Hi Terry.

The MM paints that I have are all named by the intended colour, i.e Sky Type S, RAF Dark Green, RAF Middle Stone, RLM 02, etc.... As you have observed, none state the finish, even on the bottles, but to the best of my recollection (it's been a while since I used them), the aircraft camo colours all come out in a matte finish., Nonetheless, I've always topcoated with Future for decalling and then Testors Dullcoat anyway.

The only thing I don't like about the MM paints is the crappy paper seal in the lid. I've had a few bottles dry in the bottle because of poor seals. Recommend you not shake the bottles to mix the paint. Rather, just open the cap and stir, keeping the seal clean and dry as getting paint between the seal and bottle causes the seal to stick to the bottle and delaminate when you twist the lid off.

I have no experience with their metallics.

Regarding silver............. when I visited Wayne in Adelaide, he was using some of the Game paints.... they seem to be working well for him. Maybe we can get his opinion of them, see if they are what you are looking for or may want to try.

Thanks very much indeed for the feedback chaps! Most helpful.
I'm still not quite clear as to which metallic paints are spray-can lacquers only, and which are also available in bottles, but it's not a major problem. I just wanted to try one or two, and I'll be getting the 'Chrome Silver' for now, just to experiment, as I'll be re-ordering the Xtracolor metallics I need once they're back in stock.
Billl, I believe Wayne uses 'Mythril Silver', or some similar name, which is acrylic. I'm afraid I don't really like acrylics apart from the odd job now and then, as they're not as versatile as enamels, or as hard-wearing, and are bloody awful if brushed onto anything but very small areas.
As long as I can find a basic 'silver' enamel (which is silver and not matt grey!), to use as a 'standard', then I'll be happy.

Thanks again my friend - been there too! Unless I was looking at the wrong parts, some of the info there contradicts what's shown on other MM listings!
I thought that, for such a well-known company, the information was weak, and poorly presented, and seemed to assume that users of the site knew what they were looking for !
To add to the confusion, some listings, on various web-sites, show the paint colours (which mean nothing unless actual paint is used) with the numbers, but not the full description, compared to other sites or Testor's site, but no info on what's in bottles, or what's in spray cans, or spray cans and bottles, volume and so on. Lots of blurb about how good they are of course!
Why can't they keep it basic, simple and described the product without the bull?!
A small company called WEM (White Ensign Models) have a very simple system, where it can be immediately seen what's what, what it comes in, and so on, without having to flip back and forth between different lists, and without having to try to de-cipher meaningless jargon.
As I mentioned earlier, it's so much easier with certain products, to be able to see the product! Buying a kit unseen is OK - you know it's going to be a kit. but trying to find the right paint, and buy it, from poorly presented and catalogued info is like buying a pair of shoes without seeing them or trying them - it's just not done!
Anyway, rant over!
It's all due to Hornby continuing to use the Humbrol name for the cr@p they push out, which has caused me to have to pay the equivalent of 5 tins of paint just to cover shipping for nine tins of paint (due to Royal Mail restrictions and rip-off charges), and suffer the inconvenience of having to place a minimum order, wait for delivery, and not have the benefit of being able to dash out (OK, hobble out!) to the LHS if I need one tin in a hurry!
Soon as I've got some alternatives, and settled on 'standards', I'll be back to my usual self!!
Thanks again for all your help chaps, and apologies for my rambling, but I am so p*ssed off with the absolute rubbish that passes itself off as what was once the World's best modelling paints, and all the hassle and damage it's caused!

Generally all Model Master colours for military stuff , both these offered as the FS numbers and those of the Authentic series called Model Master II , are matt.

Thanks very much for the clarification, Cory and Wojtek. I had a feeling they might be, but with some paints having 'flat' in the title, and some no description, I wasn't sure!
I really wish people wouldn't use 'flat' to describe matt paint. In painting terms, 'flat' means 'to flat', or 'the paint is flat' , which means it has been rubbed down (sanded or rubbed with wet and dry paper), to prepare a primer, or existing paint ready for primer or a new coat. There's a heck of a difference between 'flat' paint and 'matt' paint!

I like to use the Model Master. my fave to use is the Chrome Silver FS17178. if you're looking for a nice mirror shine that is. suggestion: do a gloss black undercoat. makes it look tons better.

Thanks Rob. I've already ordered the chrome silver, in a bottle. I don't actually want a deep shine, chrome finish, but a nice shine, in contrast to surrounding panels in other shades, would be useful, especially for the EE Lightning F2.

Thanks very much for the clarification, Cory and Wojtek. I had a feeling they might be, but with some paints having 'flat' in the title, and some no description, I wasn't sure!
I really wish people wouldn't use 'flat' to describe matt paint. In painting terms, 'flat' means 'to flat', or 'the paint is flat' , which means it has been rubbed down (sanded or rubbed with wet and dry paper), to prepare a primer, or existing paint ready for primer or a new coat. There's a heck of a difference between 'flat' paint and 'matt' paint!

You'r welcome Pal. And I agree with you on the term "matt" that sounds much better than the "flat" one.

I used Model Master No. 1401 Aluminium (Metalizer) for the F-51D Terry. Gave her about 3 coats, but even so, wore off on the tissue paper she was resting on when dry. Try picking her up and it's even worse.
IMO, just dosen't have the guts the Humbrol stuff did, needs a(n acrylic!!!) clear coat to protect it.

Last edited:
Model Master metallic's are a good spray paint Terry and I've used them with a modicum of success by brush. However my thought is, have you tried White Ensign Paints, they do a good range for all WWII ranges, Allied or Axis.

Here is the link:

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back