Model Master RLM-02

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hrojicus

Airman
Aug 8, 2009
Hi guys, I searched the forum for a question similar to what i'm asking and haven't found the answer.
The MM enamel for RLM-02 doesn't look right. It could be me but is there a recipe? The RLM-66 and 76 look good. So I can start my 190.

Thanks in advance, -Roger

It is for sure too light and doesn't have look like the photos from my walk around or other detail books. Its hard to describe. I once thought that there was 2 versions of the colour. I know that certain areas of the aircraft are
more likely to wear and weather than some...I guess there is not enough brown in it either.

I know this stuff can be annoying for you veterans.

-Roger

Not annoying at all. This is what this forum is all about - helping others and learning by helping.

You need to be careful that you're not trying to compare to museum specimens that are often incorrectly painted and that you're not trying to emulate a colour that was not really 02. Personally, I find MM's RLM 02 satisfactory. The 02 on my 109 camo here http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/7-battle-britain/finished-bf-109e-4-black-8-2-jg3-ofw-bernhard-lampskemper-bob-group-build-26393.html was done with it.

EDIT, I searched around for some pics of what I believe to be good representations of 02 on various restored 109's and all of these look pretty close to what I think the MM 02 looks like. Thanks to 109Lair The 109 Lair- The Online Source for Messerschmitt 109 information

Attachments

• 10132_well.jpg
    10132_well.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 14753_4.jpg
    14753_4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 405
  • 19310ht_03.jpg
    19310ht_03.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Wow it's amazing how the light (and the flash) alters the tone. Thanks for the input man. That 109 site had me reaching for one of my sons bibs because of the drool. The F is definately my favorite of the 109's.

But you're right, MM 02 is pretty spot on.

Thanks a ton, Roger from Calgary

Glad to help Roger. And, yes, the lighting does make a difference, one of the reasons you can't completely rely on photos on the web eithe. Keep in mind that variations in colour were also possible depending on manufacturer and batch, so it would have always been possible to get minor variations in shades.

Go Flames!

and, as the war continued lots of things were getting in short supply, while there were RLM standards they were met as close as possible under the conditions at the time. Don't think that the germans were as concerned with color match as much as many modelers are today

Hey Mike, For certain there would be inconsistencies. Thats what makes it fun! I guess I have enjoyed the research part of the hobby as much as the modeling aspect. Now for the really big kicker. At 46 I'm told my eyes wont improve. I have been a modeller and wargamer of 1/72 figures and armour all my life. I have magnifiers and good lighting bla bla bla.
My friend Mark is gonna shriek but i'm thinking of moving up to 1/48. It's a more expensive scale but so what! I have to be able to see the stuff i'm working on.

He quietly cracks open that dusty Tamiya D-9 kit purchased so long ago.

-Roger

Oh man. I'm 51 and even 1/48 is getting kinda small but I like it for the compact size for my limited display areas. So I can sympathize with your 1/72 scale. My tendencey to add details would drive me to insanity at that scale.

Here's to insanity! Some of those newer Dragon armour models have a pile of photo etch and they don't need it. I would never put them on a gaming table either. I might go upstairs at chinook hobbies tomorrow and see how I can do for some 1/48 kits. Rick at Uncle Bills has some blow out stuff too but you have to ask the right questions...I hate leaving there without buying anything.

got you all beat by 10+ years. all my planes are 1/48 including my current B-29 and all my armour is 1/32 or larger. my tiger I is 1/16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back