Modern tank question (for a noob)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
As most of you know, I'm currently on a 12-18 month assignment in Saudi Arabia. Right now is the humid season with temps around 110 and humidity around 45% so it's freaking miserable to do anything outside. I got to thinking about those poor guys during WWII that fought in the tank battles at El Alamein and Kasserine Pass and just how much of a microwave it had to have been inside those tanks and wondered how they did it. So my question is, do modern tanks have air conditioning?

So apparently they do. I got this answer on another board......

Yes and no. There is a climate control system in the M1A1 and an improved system in the M1A2, but they aren't really effective on a comfort level. According to tankers I've met, It'll keep the temperature from reaching unsafe levels but you're still going to sweat a lot. The largest reason for cooling in the Abrams is for the benefit of the electronics on board. It's got some pretty awesome electronics for targeting and those systems need to be kept moderately cool to prevent wear and damage. Get any computer too hot and it'll fail. Unfortunately, in many cases keeping the computers comfortable is more important than keeping the people happy. So basically, specs say that our tanks have air conditioning but it isn't like the A/C in your car that you can turn up and chill out with. Military vehicles typically just don't carry comfort as a high priority. I think it would be great to get some more cooling in, but engineers argue about increased weight, room for added equipment, electric supply, etc

in mid 04 some of out Hummers got A/C, not mine
I ran the SQDN TOC. Tents and shelters are not easy to cool but we kept after our equipment and did OK. 120-130*F in BALAD summer of 04 outside, in the TOC probably 90*. As noted above, NOT for my comfort but so the equipment would not fry. Digital maps on lge screen TV, live feed from the guys in the field and from drones, you name it. All the screens and equipment make heat.

Yes, Tanks have 'save the electronics' a/c. There have been advances with cooling vests. I finished my career in 2006, likely advances since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back