Mods: Their Wherabouts and Your Preference

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi All!

This site cracks me up. :cheers:

I came across this place when I was doing some modeling. Put it down for a rest and got back into simming. So, I spend a while looking for IL2 stuff. Click on that link, takes me to some place, click on another one, takes me some other place, so on and so forth.

After a couple of of weeks..........I end up back here!! I'll take the hint.

Anyway, been playing IL2. Have the UP3 and enjoy it immensely. But want some other mods. Mainly, a landscape mod I see in vids and screenshots. Can't describe it other than it is incredibly detailed and looks excellent. Also noticed that some planes in screenshots appear sharper and more detailed. Is this just a particular skin or is there a mod for that as well??

Looked here and there and found some campaigns and skins but nothing on the two things above.

So, what are your favorite mods and where can I get them?? Oh, and do you know of the two above??

Appreciate any help! And by now, I've learned to just hang around here.

This is the main website I use for mods other than Ultra Pack, which I haven't upgraded to UP3, yet. (Am still at 2.01) Special Aircraft Service - Index and one that I haven't used as much (imho, I think its a former shell of itself, it used to be All Aircraft Arcade before the site collapse) All-Aircraft-Simulations - Index

And to answer your question on lansdcape textures (I'll post some mods later), In your Il2 install directory find the config file, open that up and find these of entries of which there are two of each under categories OpenGL and DirectX, only change the one that you are using for the game.

Mine for example

HardwareShaders=0 (Put this on 1 leads to water with higher pixel shader Appearance and Visibility of the landscape and new trees
VisibilityDistance=3 (keep this on 3 for max visibility)
Forest=2 (Keep on 2, I think its the max)
LandShading=3 (Keep on 3, as is max)
LandDetails=2 (2 max again)

LandGeom=2 (change to 3 = High quality, far distance with gradual fog fade)
TexLarge=1 (1 is max with large textures)
TexLandQual=3 (3=max)
TexLandLarge=1 (1=max)

A guide to the config file if you want to do more tinkering All-Aircraft-Simulations: Topic - De-Mystifying the Conf.ini

Now with those set, thats the maximium you can change the landscape graphically with stock settings of the game. (I think!)

I'll post some mods that I can find soon, I assume your using 4.101 or 4.11 in conjunction with UP3 am I right??

Thanks for the info! That is exactly what I was looking for. I had seen some of the references for the landscaping improvements in other forums but they were just that, references, with no details as to how to do it.

I did discover how to download skins from Mission4Today and downloaded dozens before I quit for the night. That takes care of making aircraft look better. Some of them are downright astounding. I see myself spending hours there. Also downloaded some campaigns but can't get them to work. Not too worried right now though as the links above and the other mods at Mission4Today will keep me busy for a while yet.

Thanks again!

ETA: I looked in Program Files>Ubisoft>IL2 1946 but did not see an 'install' folder. Am I looking in the right place? I clicked around a bit but didn't see anything by the 'install' name or 'config'.

Nevermind on the above. I think I found. Same path as above then found a 'conf' file. Opened it up and found the entries above under 'Direct X'. Going to make the changes once I back up my current copy of the game in case I am doing bad things in the wrong place.

Forgot to answer your question. Yes, I am running the 4.101 patch with UP3. Would like to use the new 4.11 patch but wasn't sure if UP3 would still work with it. Guessing it does?

Last edited:
Also, because you have UP3 open up JSGME (im asuming its still there :p) and from the avaliable mods list find 00_Perfect_Map_Textures and chuck that in the activated mods list, I think it increases landscape texture sizes, I'm only assuming from the name!

Glad I could be of help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back