MOH recipient plays down 'hero' talk (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:salute:

One near-universal truth, those that earned their medals (MOH, Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc) will typically tell you they didn't deserve them, that the guys who didn't make it back were the true heroes.

One near-universal truth, those that earned their medals (MOH, Silver Star, Bronze Star, etc) will typically tell you they didn't deserve them, that the guys who didn't make it back were the true heroes.

Yes indeed, I've heard that MANY times. My answer is, "Yes Sir, you are correct.
They are the true heroes, but they are gone. Please let me do something for you
as tribute to them. May I buy you lunch (dinner, coffee, something). Amazing
how it can break the ice.......

Owen

Heh. Don't credit me, I didn't come up with it! Oh....and don't EVER try to argue with em. My usual response is to ask if they would accept my thanks on behalf of their buddies. My grandfather downplayed his part (he was ground-crew prop/engine mechanic on B24's in Italy) by saying that there were a lot of other guys there, too....heh....I told him I'd shake their hands as I found em. He laughed.

You have to have a lot, TONS, Of respect for men like Mr. Finn, who did what he did, and are humble enough and have so much respect for those that never made it back to not like to consider themselves as heroes. But that's what he is. He is a hero. They all are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back