Monogram 1/48 Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Hello all,

Went digging around in my grandmas attic and come across this beast I built when I was around 12 years old.
In the "make do and mend" spirit I'm going to hopefully rebuild it.

CB3147C7-606E-4287-A0F5-0AFEC6D7F772-1458-000001A51AA81542_zps0988d632.jpg

Question is - the kit is a MkIV/VI but I need to model a MK XVI.
Externally other than I need a four blade props and to replace the exhaust stacks is there any other significant noticeable differences?

Removed incorrect picture

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Yeah survived pretty well and I think was the last model I built until I picked the hobby back up at the start of this year.

Jan - thanks. Do you have the same type document showing what the B MK XVI looked like please?
I guess it will be a case of modding the bomb bay in either case.

I'm up for the challenge if so. Will save some money on having to buy a new kit anyway.

Cheers Chris

My three cents here.... you may need to replace these engine nacelles depending on the ones that there are with the model.

af5dcf587f6a3c9589a79a5b87ad72ee37a5dedf.jpg

Thanks Wojtek, that officially put the nail in the coffin for this kit.

I might put this as a long term project and try and make the missing pieces from balsa to avoid havin to buy any additional items.

Cheers Chris

In the picture you posted , I don't see the intercooler air intakes under the spinners that would suggest a B Mk XVI. Nor does it have a 4 bladed prop (the Mk XVI had a 3 blade prop like most Mossies). What is making you think it's a XVI?

EDIT: Changed the mark in the first sentence.

Last edited:
Ah well that confirms to me that the photograph I have posted doesn't represent the Mossie that I have relics from then.
The mossie I have relics and need to model is MM150.

Which can be seen in this photograph with the black spinners -

81FF925A-01BA-46AB-9A50-B5F0D15A5460-1657-000001C28E10ADD7_zps9b5dd979.jpg

Cheers Chris

Thanks Geo. I'm definitely going to convert this one but will just work on and off on it.

Four blade props and new exhausts will be purchased along with Decals but the bomb bay and necelles I will make myself.

Cheers Chris

Anytime Chris!

Date: 15-JAN-1945
Time:
Type: de Havilland Mosquito B.Mk.XVI
Owner/operator: 692 (Fellowship of the Bellows) Sqn RAF
C/n / msn:
Fatalities: Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: nr Snelsmore Farm, nr Greenham Common, Chieveley, Berkshire. - * United Kingdom
Phase: En route
Nature: Military
Departure airport: RAF Graveley
Destination airport:
Narrative:
MM150 -Ran short of fuel in bad weather on return and abandoned nr Greenham Common 15.1.45
Fourteen aircraft detailed for operations. Mosquito MM150 took-off from GRAVELEY at 21.09 hours, loaded with a single 4,000lb "cookie".
The raid was led by S/L W. C. Brodie, DSO, DFM (pilot) and F/L K. R. Triggs DFC (navigator) in Mosquito Mk.XVI, serial number MM182.
One aircraft cancelled owing to a burst tyre on take-off, one aircraft missing. Of the remainder, nine aircraft bombed Berlin and three bombed secondary targetís owing to technical trouble. Only four aircraft dropped their "cookies" during the first wave on the big city. One aircraft bombed Bonn and another Cologne due to technical failures. Over Berlin the sky was clear and excellent results were observed both on marking the target and bombing. Opposition from the enemy was slight, a few searchlights with slight heavy flak, although a few fighter flares were observed.
During the second wave, again one aircraft failed to reach the target and bombed Euskirchen using GEE. It was clear weather over the target and moderate results were observed, marking being scattered. On the whole, not a bad prang. It was however marred by the fact that two of our aircraft did not return! One being reported as crashed in this country, with the pilots body being found nearby. In F/O J. P. Morgan, the dead pilot, the Squadron lost an excellent Captain. There is no news of his navigator Sgt Sturrock, whose opened parachute has been discovered.
The second Mosquito lost by the Squadron was MM128 flown by F/O G. R. P. Chaundy DFM and F/S G. F. Ayre R.A.A.F .
The reason for the loss is unclear, but sadly both crew members perished. Their graves can be found in ANTWERPEN, in the city's Schoonselhof Cemetery. F/O Chaundy had served in the Middle East with No.148 Sqdn, details of his DFM having appeared in the London Gazette on the 23rd March 1943.
Extract from the No.15 Operational Training Unit ORB. Summary; 14.01.1945
This aircraft was flying from its base at Graveley in bad weather and short of fuel. The crew, F/O Morgan (pilot) and Sgt Sturrock (navigator) abandoned the aircraft near Greenham Common, Berkshire. The aircraft continued on to crash at Snelsmore Farm, Chieveley, Berkshire.
Sadly the New Zealand pilot was killed when he struck the tail fin of the aircraft whilst baling-out, his body was subsequently found nearby to his wrecked machine. The navigator landed safely. Police informed Hampstead Norris airfield regarding the crash, however Greenham Common airfield had taken all necessary action. Both stations mounted guard over the wreck.

Crew:
F/O (NZ413881) John Perenera MORGAN (pilot) RNZAF - Killed
Sgt (1800054) John A. M. STURROCK (obs) RAFVR - Killed

Ahh now I'm confused. So is the mossie in my second picture (with four blade prop) not MM150?
Wonder why aircrew rememberence recognise MM150 as a four blade?

Coincidently I actually got my relics from the son of the founder of the aircrew rememberence society.
If it's three blade than that's a bonus as I will only have to replace the missing blade from what I already have.

Don't know of any Mosquito B or PRXVI with a four blade prop, although the 'Sea Mosquito' had them. The first photo is not a XVI, and the second, which is, looks like the angle might be making it look like a four blade, unless, for some strange reason, it was a 'one off' testing a four blade prop.
Whatever, you'd need to either find an engine nacelle conversion for the longer, two-stage Merlins, plus the 'ejector' exhausts, or make your own, and probably 'bulge' the bomb bay, as most XVI's were bulged, fit 'paddle blade' props, and mould a different canopy.
If possible, you'd be better off using the the Airfix kit of the B/PRXVI, which pop up now and then at King Kit and on e-bay (I've just missed two of the b*gg*rs!) for around £25, and the kit includes most of the parts for the FBVI too!
That old Monogram kit was reasonable for it's day, but is inaccurate around the tail and fin, and the cockpit is nothing like a Mossie, as well as the areas mentioned above.
I converted the old Airfix FBVI kit into a B.IX (outwardly similar to the XVI) many years ago, using the nose from the Monogram kit and moulding the engine nacelles in 'Milliput', and it's still sitting on a shelf waiting to be finished (after about 30 years!!). Here it is, looking rather sorry for itself!
EDIT: Just noticed, the second photo, on the ground don't look like B.XVI's either. They're possibly '30' series, either B,30, 35 or 36 - note the different cowlings and exhausts, as well as the intakes - unless the lighting is making the shape look different. I'd need to see a better quality print.

Attachments

• Wall of Shame 006.jpg
    Wall of Shame 006.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Wall of Shame 009.jpg
    Wall of Shame 009.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Wall of Shame 008.jpg
    Wall of Shame 008.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
I'm with Terry. The angle of the picture makes it inconclusive that it's a 4 blade prop. Sorry for the confusion in my earlier post which I've fixed. The B Mk IV did not have the intercooler intakes.

Thanks guys.

I've got to say that I think it does have a four blade prop.
I don't think if it was a three blade you would be able to see as much of each propeller blade as you can on this one.
The amount of prop visible is more than on the mossie with grey? spinners.

It's tricky to tell bit it does look different to the mossie parked next to it.
Also why black spinners? The others in the shot (photo cropped) all have lighter spinners.

Have to say that, the Mosquito in post #9 does look like it has fourbladed props, the top and bottom blades looks like to be in same length, if you know what I mean, they should look different, had the props been threebladed, take a close look again and you'll see....

Undoubtedly the Mossie with dark spinners had the four-blade props.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back