More Free Schools 'Are Waste Of Public Money....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
'Labour's Stephen Twigg accuses Education Secretary Michael Gove of "incompetence" as 55 new free schools prepare to open.

Twice as many free schools, compared with 2011, will be opening their doors as the new school year gets under way this week, amid claims that millions of pounds of public money is being wasted.

Education Secretary Michael Gove said he hoped that the 55 new free schools would be "equally successful" as the 24 which launched last September.

But he has faced criticism after some free schools which were due to open for the autumn term failed over the summer, including One In A Million in Bradford and Newham Free Academy in east London.

Both schools abandoned plans to open this year after they failed to attract enough pupils.

Mr Gove said: "Every child should have the choice to go to an excellent local school. These new schools have been set up by idealistic people who are determined to give parents the kind of choice that only the rich can currently afford.

"The first 24 free schools are enormously popular and I expect this second wave to be equally successful."

But speaking on Sky News' Dermot Murnaghan programme on Sunday, shadow education secretary Stephen Twigg accused Mr Gove of "incompetence".

He said: "Some of the free schools opening are fully subscribed, they will be brilliant, successful schools and I wish them well.

"A number of local authorities have recognised the only way to get money from this Government for a new school is to have a free school.

"But the problem we have got is the Government puts all of its eggs in the basket of free schools, so when they fail it is a waste of public money."

Mr Twigg added: "Part of the problem is there is a kind of incompetence here from Michael Gove because there is a determination to do everything incredibly quickly.

"Riding roughshod over normal ways of doing things, you end up switching grey boundaries in the middle of a school year and creating this injustice and unfairness."

Free schools are funded by the state but are free from local authority control.

Fifty-five free schools will be opening this week, including primary and secondary schools, establishments which cater for pupils throughout their schooling, and two schools which cater for pupils until to the age of 19.

Twelve have been set up by teachers, 19 by parent or community groups, nine by charities and 13 are set up by existing education providers. Two existing independent schools will join the state sector as free schools.

Liam Nolan, executive head teacher of Perry Beeches II, Birmingham, said: "This is a fabulous opportunity for us to expand our brand of success into a new community and to work with a new group of young people in the heart of Birmingham. This is one of the beauties of Free Schools, that the very best schools can extend their outstanding practice."

The Department for Education said 25 of the 55 schools are located in the most deprived 25% of communities in the country and 33 are in areas where there is need for more school places.
-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------
Just a question here, what does this with 'free shool' mean?

I've always felt that the school boards should focus on the QUALITY of education in a smaller number of schools, as opposed to creating a larger QUANTITY of schools that they can then claim to "successfully" preside over. More schools just leads to looser teacher hiring standards. Focus on better quality of education, and you'll come out on top every time.

And that's as much as I can say without getting too political on this.

I'm kind of lost on this "free school" thing also...

In the U.S. we either have public schools, which are provided by the state or private schools which are either chartered or operated by a church (Catholic, Lutheran, etc)

None are free...

Free Schools are non-profit making, independent, state-funded schools. There is not a 'one-size-fits-all' approach. They are not defined by size or location: there is not a single type of Free School or a single reason for setting them up.
(From www.education.gov.uk)

Sounds like they are a public chartered school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back