I'm happy to pay for a car that won't kill me.
en.wikipedia.org
Crappy undersized bias ply tires, undersized drum brakes, steering columns that acted as spears. The American auto industry was very resistant to safety measures. Only Mercedes, Volvo and Rover were safety conscious. The safety crusade was more than Nader. It inevitable and necessary. As you can see from the fatality rates cars are far safer these days. Note that in the 1970 s more Americans died each year on the road than died in the entire war in Vietnam.
(first posted 1/6/2012) Growing up is an endless series of awakenings, as the veil of innocence tears bit by bit. In the fall of 1964, when the all-new ’65 […]
www.curbsideclassic.com
I'm happy to pay for a car that won't kill me.
en.wikipedia.org
Crappy undersized bias ply tires, undersized drum brakes, steering columns that acted as spears. The American auto industry was very resistant to safety measures. Only Mercedes, Volvo and Rover could be safety conscious in the 60s. The safety crusade was much more than Nader. It was inevitable and necessary. As you can see from the fatality rates cars are far safer these days. Note that in the 1970 s more Americans died each year on the road than died in the entire war in Vietnam.
(first posted 1/6/2012) Growing up is an endless series of awakenings, as the veil of innocence tears bit by bit. In the fall of 1964, when the all-new ’65 […]
www.curbsideclassic.com
I have a personal interest in tires because I took part involuntarily in the Firestone 500 tire failure experiment of the 1970s. My friend and I were traveling at about 70 miles per hour in his Camero when the right front tire tread departed from the rest of the tire and smashed into my side window. The steel belt delaminated and started acting as a giant wire brush on the side of the car. Luckily my friend kept it under control and we came to a safe stop. Frightening to say the least. As it turned out his tires were under inflated but not to the point of guaranting failure.
That was when I discovered that out of all my friends I was the only one who actually owned a pressure gage or who had any idea what pressure a tire should be. The idea that the average car owning American or Canadian would understand the concept of differential tire pressures is simply ludicrous and to me was not the solution to a poor suspension design.
And for those who say if you die in an accident because you didn't maintain your car too bad, I say I don't carry a gage with me to test the tire pressures of every car I get into and if my friend had lost control I could have been seriously injured or worse through no fault of my own.