Mosquito B.35 VR796 (CF-HML) Nears Completion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alex .

Airman 1st Class
With the much-reported completion of Jerry Yagen's Mosquito KA114, a fighter-bomber variant of the famous de Havilland design, in September 2012, the early part of 2014 should see a second take to the skies, and the first bomber variant at that. Mosquito B.35 VR796 (CF-HML) is being completed for Bob Jens, owner of Spitfire MkXIVe TZ138, and will be based at Vancouver, Canada.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-AsgYvF2o

Been watching this one closely. This is a sister ship to CF-HMS which is the subject of our Calgary Mosquito restoration that is being covered in another thread. The Victoria Air Maintenance restoration has been "nearing completion" over the last year and has had several rumoured maiden flights come and gone since about June. Nevertheless, word amongst our Calgary team is that it's truly close and that it may be out of the hangar for engine runs within the next week or so. We're helping them out a bit by sending over copies of our Mossie's data plates which Transport Canada need to issue. The original plates on HML apparently are no longer available.

I've set up a request to be notified of the planned flight and, if all goes well, can be in a position to hop on a plane for the 1 hour flight to Victoria on a day's notice if I can spring myself free from the office. If that happens, you can be assured of pictures!

The latest info from my contacts is this:

The owner, who has every right to do this, has made it very clear to his restoration contractor (Victoria Air Services) that they are not to publicize, nor disclose to anyone, the plans for engine runs let alone test flights. It's putting VAS in a delicate situation in that everyone and their dog is calling them for info, including the guy who is heading up our RS700 restoration and from whom I was hoping to get a tip. I now hold little hope of seeing our sister ship (ours was registered as CF-HMS) in the air. Rumour has it that it will be flown once and then hangared......

Best bet would be to rent a camper and park it along the airport perimeter and live in it for the next 2 months until the distinctive sound of twin Merlins is heard. That's not possible for me and, l although I'm not giving up hope entirely, I'm keeping my expectations of a tip off very low.

Not really.
I adds quite a lot of pressure to the restorers to get it flying if they have publicised a date. This was they can fly it when they are ready to, without undue pressure of having thousands of onlookers.
I have seen publicised 'first flights' where the aircraft actually flew well before the published date, so that there wasn't as much pressure on the day.

10251921_692951304077159_2547434250626400936_n.jpg

This just popped up on FB. Yay! :D

Yeah. I heard April 12 was the day and that they even might get it into the air. Unfortunately, I was 3000km away on a family matter. I'll see if I can get some more info from our CMS members who might have gone out there. We shipped the canopy for CF-HMS to the same place to get new glazing fitted.

EDIT: Though the pic above shows just one engine running, both did indeed run. However, the aircraft has not yet been cleared for flight by Transport Canada.

Last edited:
Certificate of Airworthiness issued on April 15 from Transport Canada. Owner is trying to get Steve Hinton scheduled to take her up in the next 2 weeks, soon as he's available.

Brilliant! A bomber and a fighter Mossie now airborne - just need one or two in the UK now!
Thanks for the up-date Andy .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back