Mosquito fuel tankage

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pinin

Airman
Nov 2, 2014
I am trying to establish the operational range of some Mosquito versions.

I bolded my questions but i included much other information.

I have this generic information regarding Gun armed and non gun armed Mosquitos

Gun armed Mosquitos
2 outer wing each 58 Imp gal of fuel(260L)+2 inner wing each 143 imp.gal (650 L) central fuselage 2 mounted between bulkhead number two and three aft of the cockpit 25 imp.gal. (110 L) each

452 Imp gallons (usually stated as 450 imperial gallons)

No gun armed Mosquitos
2 outer wing each 58 Imp gal of fuel(260L)+2 inner wing each 143 imp.gal (650 L) central fuselage 2 mounted between bulkhead number two and three aft of the cockpit 68 imp. gal (310 L) each

538 Imp gallons (usually stated as 536 Gallons, 540 Gallons)

-----
Now particular versions:

PR.I(no gun) probably only 540 imp gal or could take bomb bay tank with photo equipment there?

NF II Special( gun armed) said to have a bomb bay tank after the guns. I suppose it could be like the FB VI 63 imp gal tank , but FB VI is a later version, so it unclear how much that tank can get. Any idea?

PR.II(no gun) same question as PR I, but this model is said to retain the 4 machine guns. But they are not the 4x20mm guns so i think the machine guns don't go affect the fuel tankage.

B.IV(no guns) normal 536 Imp Gal 121 imperial gal in bomb bay

PR IV(no guns) said to have 700 Imperial gallons internally. I have difficulties believing that (max internal from data above is 657 Imp gal for B.IV) maybe probably have external wing tanks, but i am not sure that with old Mosquito wing it could have them.

FB VI(gun armed) normal 450 Imp gallons 63 imp gall in bomb bay ( other sources say 113 Imp gal in bomb bay would this be bulged bomb bay?) plus external fuel tanks usually said to have 50 Imp Gal each. But also references to 100 imperial gallons external fuel tanks.

PR.IX(no guns) said to have 960 Imperial gallons of fuel. With 657(internal +bomb bay -with phto equipment) plus 2x100 imp gal external tanks i can only go to 857 imperial gallons. Any idea how 960 Imperial gallons can be possible?
Was there bigger external tanks like 200 imperial gallons? that way 540 internal plus 2x200 would be nearer said 960.

Final question: Could Mosquitos with old wing ( "universal wing" starts with VI version) could take external fuel tanks?

NF II Special( gun armed) said to have a bomb bay tank after the guns. I suppose it could be like the FB VI 63 imp gal tank , but FB VI is a later version, so it unclear how much that tank can get. Any idea?

permanent tanks - 403 gal.
w/ auxiliary tanks - 553 gal.

PR IV(no guns) said to have 700 Imperial gallons internally. I have difficulties believing that (max internal from data above is 657 Imp gal for B.IV) maybe probably have external wing tanks, but i am not sure that with old Mosquito wing it could have them.

permanent tanks - 536 gal.
w/ auxiliary tanks - 657 gal.

FB VI(gun armed) normal 450 Imp gallons 63 imp gall in bomb bay ( other sources say 113 Imp gal in bomb bay would this be bulged bomb bay?) plus external fuel tanks usually said to have 50 Imp Gal each. But also references to 100 imperial gallons external fuel tanks.

permanent tanks - 450 gal.
bay tanks - 63 gal.
wing tanks - 2 x 50 gal.
total - 613 gal.

PR.IX(no guns) said to have 960 Imperial gallons of fuel. With 657(internal +bomb bay -with phto equipment) plus 2x100 imp gal external tanks i can only go to 857 imperial gallons. Any idea how 960 Imperial gallons can be possible?
Was there bigger external tanks like 200 imperial gallons? that way 540 internal plus 2x200 would be nearer said 960.

perm. & aux tanks - 657 gal.
wing tanks - 2 x 100 gal.
total - 857 gal.

Final question: Could Mosquitos with old wing ( "universal wing" starts with VI version) could take external fuel tanks?

It doesn't appear so.

bay tanks - 63 gal.
wing tanks - 2 x 50 gal.
total - 613 gal.

bay tanks - 63 gal.
wing tanks - 2 x 50 gal.
total - 613 gal.

total - 857 gal.

It doesn't appear so.

total - 857 gal.

It doesn't appear so.

Note: Without strengthening at the #8 wing rib station, the Mosquito could not carry underwing loads. By the way, please consider joining The People's Mosquito Club! bit.ly/TPMClub Thank you!

Ross Sharp said:
Note: Without strengthening at the #8 wing rib station, the Mosquito could not carry underwing loads.
When did they increase the maximum load factor to 8g

Mk I

I'm sure I'll be corrected on that, but the only main structural change was to strengthen the wings to take bombs or fuel.

According Wiki, the FB Mk VI was the first to get the strengthened wing. first flight June 1 1942

That was found Zipper using Google.

So the strengthening allowed either the same g-load with bombs or less g-load and hang bombs

So the strengthening allowed either the same g-load with bombs or less g-load and hang bombs

You have an obsession with g-loading.

The strengthening was to allow the wing to carry bombs, because the structure of the original wing made that difficult.

Carrying wing bombs also meant that it was at a higher weight, which meant lower maximum G-force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back