Mosquito Upgrades?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

olbrat

Airman
Mar 19, 2008
Considering what a phenomenal aircraft the DeHavilland Mosquito was, were there any upgrades considered to substantially improve the performance? Different engines? A redesign for streamlining?

Would the construction be strong enough to allow for installation of jet engines? If so, what do you think would be the estimated results?

A replacement of the Mosquito was spec'd in 1944 and the decision was taken that it would be replaced with a jet bomber, which was put into production as the Canberra. This is considered by most to be a classic design that remained in the front line of the RAF until 2 or 3 years ago.

On that basis I don't think that any upgrades were considered apart from those that were implementedon the last versions of the Mosquito.

Olbrat
as to clarification to Glider's message which well covered the jet engines, of course Mossie went through various improvements and also got more powerful engines during its career, later models had the excellent 2-stage Merlins and Marks went at least to 40.

There were some scaled up designs with Griffon and Sabre engines with larger bomb loads and speeds but they didn't progress to production. Postwar, it was replaced by the Canberra.

I don't think jet engines would go well with the wooden construction given the unknowns with heat etc. One of the contemporary designs to the Sabre/Griffon Mosquito was the Miles Libellula. It was planned with two Merlin 60 series giving 360mph cruise. These engines would be replaced with three W.2/500 jets and give 500mph cruise.

A replacement of the Mosquito was spec'd in 1944 and the decision was taken that it would be replaced with a jet bomber, which was put into production as the Canberra. This is considered by most to be a classic design that remained in the front line of the RAF until 2 or 3 years ago.

On that basis I don't think that any upgrades were considered apart from those that were implementedon the last versions of the Mosquito.

What a great aircraft the Canberra was. Long time in USAF for about as many roles as the Mossie

There was a proposal for a 'Jet Mosquito' by de Havilland. The engines were mounted in the same position as the Merlins but the wing taper was reversed so that the trailing edge was straight but the leading edge swept back, like the Venom.

The de Havilland DH.103 Hornet came immediately to mind as the successor or follow on to the Mosquito. It first flew in July 44 with first delivery in February 1945. The top speed was about 470 mph for production models. By all accounts I've read a nice aircraft to fly with excellent performance.

Attachments

• dh-103-hornet.jpg
    dh-103-hornet.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 80_sqdn_hornets.jpg
    80_sqdn_hornets.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 103
I've also found reference to another development of the Mosquito, called the DH 102 it was to be almost identical in shape but scaled up to near Wellington proportions and re-engined with Griffons. I'm on holiday at the moment but when I get home next week I'll dig out some pictures of the proposals I've mentioned and put them up here, unless I can find a web link to share with you first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back