Most dangerous channel front interceptor

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Used to hunt pigeons flying from France to England.

channel interceptor.JPG

hunting pigeons for the war effort.

Hunting carrier pigeons.

The British used more than a quarter of a million carrier pigeons to carry messages in WW2. A while back there was a bit of a do about a rediscovered coded message found in a pigeon role on the remains of a pigeon discovered in a chimney. The coded message was sent by a member of a British unit shortly after D-Day.

See here:
Has the D-Day pigeon riddle been cracked? - Telegraph

Cheers

Steve

Hunting carrier pigeons.

The British used more than a quarter of a million carrier pigeons to carry messages in WW2. A while back there was a bit of a do about a rediscovered coded message found in a pigeon role on the remains of a pigeon discovered in a chimney. The coded message was sent by a member of a British unit shortly after D-Day
I know steve just remarked that every action has a reaction, I dont know how effective it could be since its hard to tell a hawk to go for carrier pigeons and not just birds in general.

I know steve just remarked that every action has a reaction, I dont know how effective it could be since its hard to tell a hawk to go for carrier pigeons and not just birds in general.

I suppose as long as he/she kept grabbing pigeons there was a chance that some of them would indeed be carriers bearing their top secret messages to their home loft :)

I imagine that the falconer would stop his bird(s) eating what was caught !

Cheers

Steve

Depends who sees who first !

My money however would be on the hawk :)

Cheers

Steve

In the wild a hawk doesnt have to be very good, apart from the breeding season do they need more than a pidgeon every 2 days? Maybe they are like a cheetah. It maybe the fastest land animal but is regularly out run by its prey, it needs to be close to make a kill because after about 50/100 meters (I forget how long it is) it runs out of steam.
I think in level flight a pidgeon gets away the hawk needs height and surprise? (I know all hawks dont use the same method just in general)

Most of our UK raptors do ambush their prey, but I remember from a documentary I saw years ago that by no means all attacks are successful. Obviously enough are, or we'd have no more birds of prey!

I wonder if a pigeon can out turn its attacker, rather like a Mustang avoiding an Me 262 :)

Cheers

Steve

I watched a Pigeon Hawk nail one of my Rollers years ago. Came from the high 6 o'clock position, hit him about 50-60ft. above the ground and kept going down until he hit the ground hard.

Geo

I watched a Pigeon Hawk nail one of my Rollers years ago. Came from the high 6 o'clock position, hit him about 50-60ft. above the ground and kept going down until he hit the ground hard.
Geo

Sounds like the target never saw the attacker coming.

Cheers

Steve

Most of our UK raptors do ambush their prey, but I remember from a documentary I saw years ago that by no means all attacks are successful. Obviously enough are, or we'd have no more birds of prey!

I wonder if a pigeon can out turn its attacker, rather like a Mustang avoiding an Me 262 :)

Cheers

Steve

Birds fitted with fowl er flaps can out turn a hawk, most but not all are ducks.

This was a serious issue. The 'Brieftauben Verordnung' or 'Pigeon Regulations' issued by the Germans on 20th September 1940 banned the keeping of homing pigeons in the occupied territories of France and Belgium, precisely because there were worries that they might be used by the resistance as a means of communication.
Cheers
Steve

I was wondering if the picture was a type of propaganda, to make the allies think carriers were being intercepted and so have to start using a code system and be careful about what they sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back