Most Important Aircraft Engine of the War? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

twoeagles

Senior Airman
Oct 18, 2006
Chambersburg
This morning I was asked my opinion on one of those questions that can't
really have a best and final answer - what was the most important aircraft
engine produced in WW2? So many parameters to consider, and even a
point system to see what bubbles to the surface will come up short.
The Rolls Merlins powered the best of the British fighters and bombers;
where would the Luftwaffe have been without the DB601/603/605 series?
In terms of numbers, Pratt's R-1830 has got to be way up there beyond
100,000 units (B-24's alone would have needed 80,000 of them), yet most
people only talk about the R-2800. And then there is the Allison 1710...
How many engines powered PT boats as well as front line fighters?
For the most horsepower in a very tidy package, Napier Saber V...But it
was also problemmatic. Basically, I don't have a single answer.

Please weigh in!!!

You do have an uncanny ability to cut straight to the heart of the matter, Adler!

It's probably more interesting to look not at the engine itself, but at the aircraft it enabled to be built, and the effect they had on the War.

That's why there can be only one answer - the Rolls Royce Merlin.

Look at the list of aircraft: Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, Mosquito, Lancaster, to name but a few. If you want more, you could go on with the Kittyhawk MkII, Fulmar, Battle, Defiant, Barracuda, Beaufighter MkII, York, Whitley, Halifax, Wellington MkII, VI, etc, etc... True, not all were overwhelming successes, although most were.

All in all, when you look at it from that point of view, there was no single more important engine.

It's probably more interesting to look not at the engine itself, but at the aircraft it enabled to be built, and the effect they had on the War.

That's why there can be only one answer - the Rolls Royce Merlin.

Look at the list of aircraft: Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, Mosquito, Lancaster, to name but a few. If you want more, you could go on with the Kittyhawk MkII, Fulmar, Battle, Defiant, Barracuda, Beaufighter MkII, York, Whitley, Halifax, Wellington MkII, VI, etc, etc... True, not all were overwhelming successes, although most were.

All in all, when you look at it from that point of view, there was no single more important engine.

I agree with that, its was not a tuff as the P&W-2800, but it played a bigger role.

Of course, just to be difficult, you could claim that either the Rolls Royce Derwent or the JuMo 004 was the best, in so far as they opened the door to modern aviation... :)

that's a point, pick a best piston and best jet?

My vote goes to the Merlin, people bash inlines as weak and unreliable but the merlin was one of the most reliable engines of the war! but i'd say the merlin mostly for the fact she made so many aircraft possible, one figure i've read put it at 21 aircraft in wartime alone.........

I'm with Adler as-well.

However worth mentioning is the DB-600 series fighter engine, as it was probably one of the most produced fighter engines of WWII and also one of the most reliable and powerful.

R3350........ without it, the B29 wouldnt fly. No B29, no atomic bombs and thus an invasion of Japan would be necessary

The Klimov, the ASh-82 and Mikulin engine series were vital as they powered the Yak, La, and MiG fighter series and the Il2.

Apparently the T 34 used an airship engine from World War 1, so does that count? :p

The Klimov, the ASh-82 and Mikulin engine series were vital as they powered the Yak, La, and MiG fighter series and the Il2.

Watch it - the Klimov was based on the French Hispano-Suiza 12Y engine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back