Mr Alvin Mayes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
My wife's grandfather received his 50 year pin from his Mason's lodge last night so we attended with several other family members.

Another gentleman was receiving a special award. Mr. Alvin Mayes was issued a special recognition for 60 years of membership in the freemasons. This soft spoken man was a pleasure to talk to. I asked him if he was involved in WW2 and he said yes. He was in Europe from '43 to '45 in the Air Corp. I asked if he was in the 8th air force and he said, "No, 9th air force and I flew in B-26's."

I said, "Oh, the Marauder's."

He seemed so surprised that I knew what a B-26 was and he got a smile on his face. So I sat with him and talked for a bit. He was the radio operator/gunner and flew 26 missions all over Germany with their primary targets being rail or road bridges and train depots. He said, "Usually the Luftwaffe left us alone as they were going after the B-17's."

I congradulated him on his 60 year award and thanked him for his service.

Mr. Mayes, it was my pleasure!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 22
What a great opportunity, Thorlifter!

I spent time yesterday helping a Pearl Harbor survivor move some furniture. I wasn't feeling all that great, but for him, I'd walk across flaming coals on my eyelids. It's the least I can do.

I get that alot, too...I talked to a gentleman a few weeks' back who had an "Army Air Corps Association" hat on (or something to that effect), and I asked what he did in the Air Corps. He sorta dismissively said "oh, I flew -38's", at which point my ears perked up and I sorta drooled "ooooh, the Lightning! ETO or PTO?" (turned out to be the Pacific, he flew in the same squadron as Bong, although never went on a mission with him). He was really surprised that I knew anything at all about WW2....which is sad, really, that that knowledge is slowly slipping away. I was at work at the time, and had to cut our conversation short, but I did get the privilidge of shaking his hand and saluting (out of uniform, but hey, he got a kick outta it!).

Great stuff! As you say, it's a shame that so much history is slipping away, and we only now realise it. Quite a few years ago, I had the privilege of meeting a number of well known WW2 pilots, including 'Ginger' Lacy, who was the 'President' of a historical aircraft group my brother was a member of. At the time, I took it for granted that I'd see him every couple of months, until he passed away. Then, you realise the missed opportunities of thanking these guys.
BTW, if you haven't seen it, The New York Times (I think) announced the passing of Col. 'Gabby' Gabreski on 13th November. Another 'ace' gone.

Thor

what Bomb group in the 9th AF was he with or did he say ?

Airframes, Gabby passed away January 31, 2002. was a pleasure to spend the day with him and friend Hub Zemke back in 1992.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back