Museums in London, which to choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
I'm going to London next week and I noticed that there are at least 2 museums displaying warbirds: Duxford Imperial war museum and the RAF museum. I've only got time to visit one of them, so which to choose?

Yes we all love aviation but try to squeeze in The British Museum...

How can u pass up seeing the Rosetta Stone!?!

Duxford is well outside London so unless you have a car its not really viable. Hendon is out a little, you can get there using public transport but its not easy.
The Imperial War Museum is probably your best bet but the emphasis is of course on war.
The Science Museum has a small gallery of aircraft but covers other aspects and is always a good visit plus its in the centre of London with lots of things to do for the family.

Hendon is easy enough to get to on the tube (can't remember the stop but it isn't more than a 10 minute walk to Hendon). As everyone else has said Duxford is a little way out of town (at least an hours drive). Of the two I would say go to Hendon as it is easier to get to but both are good museums (on top of the British Museum and the IWM, HMS Belfast is also an interesting visit).

I'm going to London next week and I noticed that there are at least 2 museums displaying warbirds: Duxford Imperial war museum and the RAF museum. I've only got time to visit one of them, so which to choose?

This link is to my post on the Imperial War Museum Marcel
Only a few aircraft there as it covers the whole conflict not just aviation.
The Science Museum has a bigger display of aircraft but it covers all aviation and is still not vast but it has several racks of piston jet engines.
The Natural History The British Museum are all close by but the British Museum is so big you could spend ages in their and not see it all
Ive never been to the RAF museum.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/visit-imperial-war-museum-london-2572.html

I've had a wonderfull time in London, great city! Of the museums you mentioned, I've visited quite a lot. For aviation we went to Hendon which was easy to go to, the underground station near it is Colindale, by the way. Great museum, one of the guards there even let me get close to some of the planes, within the boundaries.

And for Comiso I've here a photo of Rosetta Stone, which I took myself.

Attachments

• PA120231.JPG
    PA120231.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 195
trackend: 'I've never been to the RAF museum'
What!? It's easy enough surely - head for the Northern line - say at Kings Cross, get off at Colindale (make sure you head for Edgware not High Barnet)!

Glad to see marcel enjoyed himself there.

I have been to Hendon, HMS Belfast IWM - and I live in Cardiff!

I've had a wonderfull time in London, great city! Of the museums you mentioned, I've visited quite a lot. For aviation we went to Hendon which was easy to go to, the underground station near it is Colindale, by the way. Great museum, one of the guards there even let me get close to some of the planes, within the boundaries.

And for Comiso I've here a photo of Rosetta Stone, which I took myself.

FANTASTIC!

How many items can u name that are more impressive then the Rosetta Stone? NOT MANY!!!

Truly a world class treasure... thanks for the photo!

trackend: 'I've never been to the RAF museum'
What!? It's easy enough surely - head for the Northern line - say at Kings Cross, get off at Colindale (make sure you head for Edgware not High Barnet)!

Glad to see marcel enjoyed himself there.

I have been to Hendon, HMS Belfast IWM - and I live in Cardiff!

Done all three and I live a fair way north of the border ;) (actually been to the IWM about 4 times now).

FANTASTIC!

How many items can u name that are more impressive then the Rosetta Stone? NOT MANY!!!

Truly a world class treasure... thanks for the photo!

It is impressive, but too bad that everybody thinks that as it was way to crowded at the place to get a good picture of it.
You can have the whole size picture if you want (and if I can find a way to send it to you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back