Mustang Cockpit Colours (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FlexiBull

Airman 1st Class
Feb 9, 2009
Has anyone any firm idea as to the correct interior cockpit colour for an RAF Mustang III?

This is a Tamiya kit and they recommend XF3:2 + XF5:1 I guess that this may turn out to be green zinc chromate or yellow chromate colour. The same interior colour is given for the wheel wells.

FlexiBull

Has anyone any firm idea as to the correct interior cockpit colour for an RAF Mustang III?

This is a Tamiya kit and they recommend XF3:2 + XF5:1 I guess that this may turn out to be green zinc chromate or yellow chromate colour. The same interior colour is given for the wheel wells.

FlexiBull

Here's the best reference I have ever found for interior colors on US aircraft (I know it's an RAF Mustang, but it was built in the US), IPMS Stockholm's on-line article on interior colors during WWII; go here.

RAF Mustang III's (P51B/C) had the same interior colours as the USAAF aircraft. The entire cockpit was finished in Interior Green, with the seat either in Medium Green or Olive Drab. The instrument coaming/shroud was dark green. later Olive Drab.
The wheel wells were clear laquered bare aluminium, with the exception of the outer face of the main spar, forming the rear 'wall' of the wheel bays (not the gear-leg well), which was yellow zinc chromate. The clear laquer was also applied to the inner faces of the wheel well and gear leg doors.
However, if the aircraft had passed through a M.U., or a (U.S) B.A.D., it is possible, though not definite, that the wheel wells may have received a coat of green zinc chromate. As with most aircraft types, there were variations, but the above is as near 'standard' as it is possible to ascertain.
This information has been confirmed to me by a former RAF pilot who flew Mustang III's, IV's and IVa's (P51K) during WW2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back