Mustang IV "Edmonton Special", 442 Sq RCAF, May 1945 - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You're welcome mate. I can't quite understand why that (buoyant) back rest 'cushion' has been added to the model.
Similar items were sometimes used on the crew seats of the B17, in the radio room, and some other multi-engine aircraft, but to place one in a Mustang would be restrictive, unless the model designers saw one in, say, a static, preserved example, and thought it was standard fitting.

They provide reference photos in colour of a restored (not sure if it's flying) F-6D, and it has one, so you're probably right Terry. I had read about how people weren't sure if it should be in there or not and I've never actually seen that cushion before in a P-51, including the now crashed Lou IV that I sat in a number of years ago.

Really stunning Cory, and welcome back. Know how you feel on the health issues. Santa brought me RA for Christmas.

Well, I know no pics yet but I haven't had much time to upload them and my internet isn't working properly so I'm dubious about actually being able to upload them in the first place. However, the cockpit is now finished, and now I'm going to start the engine. Were there many differences between Packard built Merlins and the RR built ones? Just for when I'm looking for reference photos, if some angles are better than others in say a Spitfire and I use that, I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot.

Not a lot of external difference in Packard or RR Merlins Cory, apart from the gauges of nuts and bolts, American v British, which obviously can't be seen!
I've probably got some pics of P51D engine installations if you need them.

Here are just some quick progress shots. I thought I had one with the seatbelts, apparently not. I'll get one when I'm done the engine.

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

Looks great Cory. If you can swing it, there's a fine white or yellow line around the 6 main instruments (see below). If you'd like, you can give it a try with a thin strip cut out of an old decal.

Attachments

• IMG_1276-CockpitOfP51.jpg
    IMG_1276-CockpitOfP51.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 143
Thanks guys! Andy, unfortunately I can't do it now as the panel is attached to the rest of the cockpit and the cover that goes above it is on. Would have given it a go! I don't think you'll be able to see much of anything once it's in the fuselage.

nice work Cory i have the same kit so i can watch and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back