Mustang MKIII gyro gunsight? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

zipo

Recruit
Dec 11, 2006
Hello all, im trying to find out if the mustang mkiii had the either the k-14 or mkii feranti sight factory fitted or not ?

Hi,

I believe that Mustang III only had the gyro gunsight added post production. Even the early D's (IV) still had the reflector sight as standard. :D

Hello all, im trying to find out if the mustang mkiii had the either the k-14 or mkii feranti sight factory fitted or not ?

The Mk III and the P-51B and the P-51C and the early P-51D-5 and -10's did not have the K-14 installed at the factory.

All of the above were equipped with the N-3, then N-9. All of the ships in theatre through July, 1944 started receiving K-14's in late July as a kit. It was pretty close to December before most of the existing Mustangs in July/August finally received the K-14's

The Mk III and the P-51B and the P-51C and the early P-51D-5 and -10's did not have the K-14 installed at the factory.

All of the above were equipped with the N-3, then N-9. All of the ships in theatre through July, 1944 started receiving K-14's in late July as a kit. It was pretty close to December before most of the existing Mustangs in July/August finally received the K-14's

But i thought the Mustang MkIII was the british version that Spitfires were being fitted with the MKII gyro gunsight as early as 1943 so i simply thought that they may well have fitted the Mustang MKIII too

The Mustang MkIII (P51B/C) had the reflector gunsight, (MkII I believe?) and, as stated by 'dog above, the Mustang MkIV (P51D/K) also had the reflector sight in R.A.F. service generally. A friend of mine flew MkIV's in 1945, and his A/C had a reflector sight.
One of the possible reasons that Mustang III's did not receive the upgrade, apart from the fact that stocks of GSCGS's seemed to be reserved for Spitfires, is that the refelector sight on MkIII's was mounted through the instrument panel shroud, and the Gyro Stabilised sight, plus its mounting, would not conveniently fit. Or so my friend told me! But yes, the British GSCGS started to be itroduced in late 1943 to Spitfire squadrons, and design data was passed to America to aid in design/production of the K14.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back