My first Civil War re-enactment

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I got to see my first Civil War re-enactment today. The re-enacted the Battle of Antietam and then the Battle of Franklin. It was quite an experience. I have about 750 pictures to go through, but here are some quick edits.

Attachments

• DSC_1146.jpg
    DSC_1146.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC_1166.jpg
    DSC_1166.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_1171.jpg
    DSC_1171.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_1186.jpg
    DSC_1186.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC_1205.jpg
    DSC_1205.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_1173.jpg
    DSC_1173.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_1279.jpg
    DSC_1279.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_1772bw.jpg
    DSC_1772bw.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 206
Even, were one of the guys who reenacted the brand new "Balloon Corps"?

:lol:

Glad to see you have an interest in the Civil War. That topic has been quiet of late.......

Yeah, there was a balloon corps guy there. I have had a passive interest in the Civil War for years as most of my ancestors fought in it, on both sides. It was really something when they opened up with those field pieces. I haven't heard that kind of noise in a LONG time.

They did a nice salute to veterans today as well that included a 21 cannon salute. After that and taps, I was a bit misty.

When I lived in N. Carolina I wanted to get into Reenacting Civil War. I almost joined up with a local unit. I believe it was the 37th N. Carolina Infantry. I cant remember the exact unit. I still have the info on it at home. If we had not moved back to Germany I would have joined up with it.

Used to travel around and watch reenactments all the time. I really enjoyed it. Our Boy Scout Troop would regularly travel to them and we would camp out at the site and learn from the reenactors and even fire there muskets. It was a good time.

Muhahahaha - Join ussssssss, join ussssssssss!

Actually - just wait until you become a better known photographer in the scene Evan, you'll find that some of the most generous spirited people in the world do the 'Standing in a Field Wearing Old Clothes' thing, and there's a whole lexicon of words you'll hear (and learn) from "Stitch Nazi" to the dreaded "Farb".

As I've always said (this is for anyone reading) - it's historical amateur dramatics - not real soldiering - and although there's a lot of ex-servicemen who reenact, it's just a hobby, we're just chocolate soldiers, and no proper reenactor would ever dream of comparing themselves for an instant with the guys who carry (and carried) bullets instead of blanks.

Yeah, I have received emails from some of those guys. Great group of folks that have given quite a response to my photos. I don't think it's something I could get into doing as a re-enactor, but I could see myself getting more photos of these.

What I admire about them is that they don't have the notion that they are the same mettle as the ones they are portraying, although I would bet some of them do. I do greatly appreciate that they treat the history with respect and sanctity.

Yeah, I have received emails from some of those guys. Great group of folks that have given quite a response to my photos. I don't think it's something I could get into doing as a re-enactor, but I could see myself getting more photos of these.

Oh, yeah, people tend to be either a photographer or a reenactor - although sometimes photographers don basic kit if they're doing photographs of close up battle scenes on the field.

I reckon it's a matter of time before someone starts a 'Cold Warriors' group (there's already a Warsaw Pact group) and explains to the public about the work done by US personnel in the UK during the 80s! :twisted: :twisted:

"Hey guys - look at this cool original USAF shirt I just got on Ebay! It's got an 85 date mark and has the name 'Van Gilder' marked in pen on the inside lable!"

Just a matter of time.... muhahahahahaha!

Well, I always take the view that the weapons used in reenactment/living history are like tools - a shovel, or a tent. Props essentially.

Some people are really into all that side of things, and that's totally fine, but I've found that the public are the most intrigued by all the little stuff as I am myself.

Think of all the crap that you carry around in your pockets today - and compare that to someone 70 or 100 years ago. No mobile or Ipod of course, but much of it is the same - perhaps a wallet, keys, lighter or matches, a bit of loose change, a pencil with a rubber band wrapped around it!

The same, but all slightly different, and when it's all put into the context of actually being on someones person rather than simply laid out in a museum, comparing how people lived then against how they do now becomes much clearer and more interesting.

Indeed. It's an event that is every year right here in my little town. I will be covering this event from now on. It was very interesting to see the attention to detail in the encampments and the displays. They cook in pots that are exactly the same as they were back then, over an open wood fire and everything. It really brings history to life. When you see how close they really were to each other when fighting and the insanity of standing almost eye to eye with your enemy, it really hits you in the gut.

Well that, and that a large part of soldiering is hurrying up and doing nothing whilst waiting for the next meal.

A guy sitting by his tent darning a sock, or entering figures in the company ledgers looks as good (if not better) than the battle scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back