My Gibson Girl Kite (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Hello all,

Just thought I would put some pictures up of my "Gibson Girl" M-357-A rescue kit.
This particular one was taken from a Lancaster when being readied for the scrap heap 😞

56DB09A5-E47D-484B-99E9-FCB780761079-22246-000017D30A3180D1_zps56959e9a.jpg

A9ABC415-A1D6-49E7-9769-5B2C71802959-22246-000017D2F14DF9A3_zps7e230ab5.jpg

For those that are not aware of its uses etc.-
Gibson girl Kite Story

Cheers Chris

It was a gift which makes it all the better.
Wish I had the money to buy the transmitter though. Boy are them things expensive.

Apparently they were just a very popular kite in the 50's 60's and were widely available from military surplus dealers, may explain why there aren't too many around now. I do see them on the well know auction site quite frequently and for around the £60 mark, so not very expensive.
I have only ever seen two transmitters for sale and they were both in the US and priced around $1500!

My one comes inside the material type drawstring bag. But that itself would have been inside a metal tube.
I'd love to fly it but won't just in case it has a bad return to the ground. All in all though its in very good condition and is in no way fragile.

I had seen one of these illustrated in a B-25 manual but never thought I'd get to see a real one. Thanks!

T-bolt, I know it was a long time ago, but I just saw your XF-85 model. DAMN you're good!

Last edited:
Thanks all, glad you like it.

Great gift and now a 1/48 diorama pops into mind.....

Geo

I've got models coming out of my ears at the minute! Rest assured though this is on the list. Just at the bottom of it.

Cheers Chris

The good old Box Kite. Used to make those as a kid. Made a 6ft(5m) tall one once. Had to use rope to fly it

That's what I like about this kite.
So innocent like a child's toy but yet so helpful to adults when faced with danger in sinister times.

If anybody knows, what did the Luftwaffe use for communication when In a life raft?
I have part of a Life raft from a JU88, will post a pic up next week. Bloody thing stinks to high heaven though!

Cheers Chris

Update. I have just managed to purchase a 99% complete transmitter as used with the kite from the US. Once it lands in the UK I'll get the pictures up. Unbelievably happy that I've managed to bag a bargin.

Cheers Chris

Well the transmitter has finally arrived.
Was thinking if I need to do a bit of restoration on it but will probably keep it as is.

81A5EF8A-71B5-4FEE-981D-A7C5FBC79158-425-0000010757B37DA0_zps4a0df98a.jpg

Data plate -

3F3F25CA-C2DA-4B65-B436-78AAB333A886-425-00000107623FE75F_zpsf1d82935.jpg

Just hydrogen balloon and and a few other items to complete the kit to a level it was supplied to the bombers.

Cheers Chris

No, no forces network unfortunately but i think it has the capability of getting a Merlin hovering overhead if you press the wrong button lol

I am keen to get a Kite capable of flying. My father bought me one in New Zealand 60 years ago and it always pulled me off my feet. I now have grandkids and have been chasing one on ebay for months but some are for collection and damaged and others immaculate and fetch very big prices. In NZ we have kite days and I would love to display a Gibson Girl Kite in its full glory. Can anybody point me to a flyable kite for purchase. Thanks

I am keen to get a Kite capable of flying. My father bought me one in New Zealand 60 years ago and it always pulled me off my feet. I now have grandkids and have been chasing one on ebay for months but some are for collection and damaged and others immaculate and fetch very big prices. In NZ we have kite days and I would love to display a Gibson Girl Kite in its full glory. Can anybody point me to a flyable kite for purchase. Thanks
Try using the US Military designation for the kite in your search engine: Kite M-357-A

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back