My Mum....Your Help with Wishes Guys!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Iv'e mentioned in a couple of threads and to some members through PM's that my Mum has not been well....well the Doctor's have now confirmed their initial diagnosis.

She has Multiple Myeloma, (short brief below) so we now know why she has been in so much pain and why she has suffered a number of broken bones.....sternum, ribs, collar bone and now while in hospital her arm..all caused by tumors or lesions on various bones including her spine where the most pain has originated...

Today she starts her first course of Chemotherapy treatment.

Last year when my Dad died, she was so thrilled at the wishes you guys passed on through the forum, she read every one!....so I would REALLY appreciate your help with a bunch of wishes to keep her spirits up.

Thanks for reading....

Multiple Myeloma

It is the most common primary bone tumour and is found in the spine, skull, ribs, sternum and pelvis.

It is a malignant tumour of plasma cells that causes widespread osteolytic bone damage.

Understanding Mutiple Myeloma - What is Multiple Myeloma?

Large numbers of abnormal plasma cells are made in the bone marrow. The abnormal plasma cells crowd out the normal bone marrow so that it cannot make enough normal blood cells. Myeloma also weakens the immune system and the level of normal antibodies is reduced.

The abnormal plasma cells make an antibody known as M-band or paraprotein. This paraprotein can be detected in the blood of most people who have multiple myeloma.

From the bone marrow, myeloma may spread into the bone itself.

Myeloma can produce substances that can soften the bones (osteoporosis) or destroy areas of bone (lytic lesions).

When bone is damaged like this, it releases calcium into the blood and can cause a high level of calcium in the blood. This is called hypercalcaemia.

There are three major features of multiple myeloma:
• Bone destruction: the expansion of the abnormal plasma cells in the bone marrow causes destruction of normal bone. This causes bone pain, and may lead to fractures where the bone has been weakened.
• Bone marrow infiltration: the bone marrow is infiltrated by plasma cells. This means that normal blood cells cannot be produced, leading to low levels of red blood cells (anaemia), white blood cells (neutropaenia) and platelets (thrombocytopenia). Patients with multiple myeloma are at increased risk of developing infections, partly due to their impaired white cell production.
• Kidney impairment: the kidneys may be damaged in multiple myeloma in a number of ways. Bone destruction by plasma cells leads to increased levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia), which is harmful to the kidneys. In addition, the abnormal immunoglobulins produced by the plasma cells can be deposited in the kidney tubules and cause damage. Overall, kidney failure occurs in approximately one quarter of multiple myeloma patients.
Tumour spread in multiple myeloma is usually confined to the bones and bone marrow only. Rarely, the tumour may spread to the spleen, lymph nodes, or other organs.

Damn Wayne, this is not what I wanted to hear, was hoping to hear the exact opposite....

Mrs. Little, I am a Cancer Survivor... I had a bout with Colon Cancer back in 2000, but was lucky in that it was discovered at Stage 0... U can and will beat it... Keep ur attitude in the right direction and always think of getting better, not worse... Ur life matters to those around u, and u can beat this...

The road will be long and tough, but u Aussies are a different breed from the average run-of-the-mill... Remain positive, cause that will get u through the tough spots.... U can and will get through this smelling like a rose...

The prayers of my wife and I are with u... Remember, this is a bump in the road for u, nothing more.... The trial will make u stronger than ever.... I think of ur son in the highest regard and consider him a great friend... Utilize his love for u to help get u through this...

I send my warmest wishes and heartfelt condolences to u in ur time of trouble, but I know u'll be just fine... Take care of urself and please, keep ur sense of humor, it will help immensly....

I wholeheartedly echo Dan's comments. My prayers will be with you and your family! You can do this.

Besides, Wayne invited me to Aussie this year and I want to meet the lady who gave him such talent!! Ok, maybe he didn't invite me, but keep smiling!!!

We lost my grandmother and my wife's mother to cancer, and my Dad has recently undergone surgery to remove some cancer (and is starting treatments for bone cancer). I understand what you're going through (you and your Mom!). Our prayers are with you and your family, and most especially with your Mother.

Sadden to hear this Wayne

A close friend of mine had this and there were some tough times but I'm sure like him your mother WILL get through this

Take care mate
All the best
-Daniel

Wayne

Kath and I are praying. my cancer is with me but has been for years, I fight it as well as your mom should to the best of her ability.

had a friend diagnosed with the same back in 1971, and I will not play games with this stuff, it is down right evil

be positive Wayne Little family

v/r E ~

Wayne;

Sorry to hear this news - along with my family be rest assured that both of you have the support and prayers from many friends located all over the world - we're all here for you!

Overall, kidney failure occurs in approximately one quarter of multiple myeloma patients.

Don't wish to sound macabre Wayne, but interesting information in your post. It always helps to know the "enemy" better.
I see a few patients on haemodialysis as a result of Multiple Myeloma and despite this and having chemo/radiation therapy they're still making the most of life. We recently sent one patient your way (the Barossa Valley) for a holiday and he and his wife enjoyed himself immensely.

Best wishes to you and your Mum. A cliché I know, but keep your chin up mate.

Apreciate your support and wishes Guys....printing them off to take to the hospital this afternoon....

..and so far Graeme, the Kidney part is not an issue......hope it stays that way.....

I am so sorry to hear that Wayne! Please forward my most sincere and heartfelt get well soon wishes to your mum. She'll beat this in no time and be back to her normal self, giving you a hard time... :D

You're all in my thoughts and prayers mate!

I am so sorry to hear what is happening Wayne My best wishes and prayers to your, your family and especially your mum.

Keep fighting this, you have the family of ww2aircraft.net behind you!

All the best,

Jason.

Sorry to hear this Wayne. Please pass on my best wishes and support to your Mum. I hope for the best, make sure you both keep your spirits up and stay positive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back