My newest model and it's not plastic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

at6

1st Sergeant
Jun 15, 2011
Fresno, California
I am waiting for some white glue that was injected into the P-38 nose to set up and dry so I built a paper model building. Hope you enjoy it. One sign said Trump's first choice but replaced that with my favorite video game character. How could you not like Duke Nukem? The model is from Papermau Blogspot designed by my Brazilian friend, Mauther.
100_1678.JPG
100_1680.JPG
100_1681.JPG
100_1682.JPG
100_1678.JPG
100_1680.JPG
100_1681.JPG
100_1682.JPG
100_1676.JPG
100_1673.JPG

Nice.. :thumbright:

However two tips.. if you backed quite large parts of paper with the cardboard (eg.. the building base or walls, roofs, decks etc ...). Especially if you use the PVA white glue. It is good to put them between two sheets of glass or put on a flat surface and add some of weight at the top using a flat slab to press the paper+cardboard until the glue is cured. In the way you will get the not "wavy" surface of the cardboard pieces. The second tip is , use some of ink or other paints to ting the cardboard edges. It will allow to get a better appearance of the parts masking the white edges.

Nice.. :thumbright:

However two tips.. if you backed quite large parts of paper with the cardboard (eg.. the building base or walls, roofs, decks etc ...). Especially if you use the PVA white glue. It is good to put them between two sheets of glass or put on a flat surface and add some of weight at the top using a flat slab to press the paper+cardboard until the glue is cured. In the way you will get the not "wavy" surface of the cardboard pieces. The second tip is , use some of ink or other paints to ting the cardboard edges. It will allow to get a better appearance of the parts masking the white edges.
Thanks Wurger. I thought about that after I finished the building assembly. I've thought about printing and building another one, provided I have enough of the right balsa stripping left. Normally I would have colored the edges with a marker but bleed through sucks and I haven't found the right acrylic colors that I would want to use yet.

It's a good job, Larry. I have never done something like that.
Wojtek's advice makes it interesting to keep it in mind when I need to do something like that. You never know and can be useful in some diorama that comes to my mind.

This facade is for some particular project?

Saludos amigo :thumbup:

Thanks Wurger. I thought about that after I finished the building assembly. I've thought about printing and building another one, provided I have enough of the right balsa stripping left. Normally I would have colored the edges with a marker but bleed through sucks and I haven't found the right acrylic colors that I would want to use yet.

I see. If you print the parts yourself with a printer you may use the Humbrol clear oil varnsh in order to protect the colours. Also if you can't find the proper colours for tinging of edges you may use the black ink for draftsmen or sketchers. Colouring of edges with markers isn't good way. Firstly, they lose the tone with the time and secondly they like making of dump ptches. Personally I use the black ink and red, green, yellow and blue and their mixtures. Usually the main colours are enough to get the proper tinge of needed colour.

It's a good job, Larry. I have never done something like that.
Wojtek's advice makes it interesting to keep it in mind when I need to do something like that. You never know and can be useful in some diorama that comes to my mind.

This facade is for some particular project?

Saludos amigo :thumbup:
Thank you SANCER. I built it just for the fun of building it. I've printed out a few replacement parts and am re-configuring the signage back to the original design. At some point I will be doing the GTA Ammunation model that Mauther designed. I have the "BLAZING TATTOO PARLOR" printed out and that is my next paper project. I do paper in between steps of a plastic model if I have let it sit during glue setting or paint drying and curing.

I build paper/card models for model railway and always try to blend in colours on corners so the fold is not visible, I tend to use fineliners in an array of many shades to match colours as close as possible.

Sad news my friends. I have to build another one as this one met with an unfortunate accident. Water and paper do not play well together. At least I was able to salvage the sign post for the next one. With my lifetime supply of popsicle sticks I will reinforce it internally so that it will be better anyway.

Last edited:
Really sad news here. Therefore I don't use the PVA adhesive and other water based ones for gluing cardboard and paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back