My newest research station

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
First off guys I have to apologize for my absence for a while. I just burned myself out to the point I had to get away from the site for a while not to mention the overtime I was working.

The good news is Im back and with that I built myself a new research station to boot. Old pc's do come in handy as Ive used them for storage space with a 4 gig jump drive to move data around easily. Check it out, I now have around 1.5 terra bytes of storage. Ive also found when looking things up I can keep one monitor on one subject but look around on another so if you have old PC's hanging around that still work but have no idea what to use them for the well if adobe pdf works on them along with word and have plenty of storage on them then well document storage works great.

Take a look,
Paul

Attachments

• Picture2 001.jpg
    Picture2 001.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 131
  • Picture2 002.jpg
    Picture2 002.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Picture2 003.jpg
    Picture2 003.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 130
Thanks guys, takes up a bit of space but for the most part Im happy with it.

Thanks TO, Still worken on it, mainly transering stuff off of old cd roms so I can look things up faster. Then Im going to have to figure out something to research. To bad the Japanese build is over with. Digging up a bunch of that stuff now from my old cd's.

The duck, goose, duck, duck, goose will be very helpful. :)

MM

Yeah if I went the complete miltary layout then I think my wife would have fits since this is in our master bed room. Just getting this much here Ive kinda pushed the limits I think. But she said as long as Im happy with it she is happy with it and this does get me out of the basement. :D

Whats up with the CRT? Is it a paperweight?

If your talking about the 21" monitor I have a hard time replacing things that still work and well since I got it for free I cant beat the price and well I hate looking at the lap top display unless Im using the dual monitor display which I do some times.

great work area Paul but put the driver somewhere else looks like you have 0 room for writing down stuff. 109 III./JG 3 looks handsome where it is along with your small Krug collection to the right, we must be on the same vibe as I have a few wine bottle-old and a couple German Bier glasses on the oak shelves above my flat screen and some old German Nussknackers displayed, actually my office is a bit of a jumble with research stuff hanging all over the place

We got rid of all the remaining 21" CRT monitors in our office a couple months ago. Since I'm in I.T., I knew we were going to through them away so I figured that I would put them in a garage sale for $15 or $20 and make a couple hundred bucks.

They didn't sell........not a one. As you know, 21" CRT's weight about 50 pounds so I didn't want move them all again. I figured I'll just give them away so I don't have to move them again. I COULDN'T GIVE THEM AWAY. I took them to a Goodwill store. They didn't want them. They told me they couldn't sell them.

Eventually I found a place to get rid of them, but what a massive waste of time and effort.

Great looking workstation, Paul!

Perhaps a KVM switch would let you run a single monitor/keyboard/mouse with multiple towers and save you a little space?

By the way, maybe you could talk the better half into letting you make a room addition for your office and she can have the space back in the bedroom?

I know Charles and Kevin are experts at additions and remodelling lately, I bet they'd love to come help...lol

Last edited:
great work area Paul but put the driver somewhere else looks like you have 0 room for writing down stuff. 109 III./JG 3 looks handsome where it is along with your small Krug collection to the right, we must be on the same vibe as I have a few wine bottle-old and a couple German Bier glasses on the oak shelves above my flat screen and some old German Nussknackers displayed, actually my office is a bit of a jumble with research stuff hanging all over the place

Thank Eric, Actually I have a writing area to. The lay out is not finished as you said zero writing area. So I have been using this which all I have to do is rotate my chair. Will see how long it lasts. Just as a side note the cedar chest use to belong to my Grandmother.

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 130
We got rid of all the remaining 21" CRT monitors in our office a couple months ago. Since I'm in I.T., I knew we were going to through them away so I figured that I would put them in a garage sale for $15 or $20 and make a couple hundred bucks.

They didn't sell........not a one. As you know, 21" CRT's weight about 50 pounds so I didn't want move them all again. I figured I'll just give them away so I don't have to move them again. I COULDN'T GIVE THEM AWAY. I took them to a Goodwill store. They didn't want them. They told me they couldn't sell them.

Eventually I found a place to get rid of them, but what a massive waste of time and effort.

Thats kinda funny as Ive gave away at least 5 19" CRT monitors and people are still asking me if I had more.

Great looking workstation, Paul!

Perhaps a KVM switch would let you run a single monitor/keyboard/mouse with multiple towers and save you a little space?

By the way, maybe you could talk the better half into letting you make a room addition for your office and she can have the space back in the bedroom?

I know Charles and Kevin are experts at additions and remodelling lately, I bet they'd love to come help...lol

Thanks, Ive thought about a KVM switch but Ive found I like the multiple monitors. I can leave up a document and type my notes on a different one at the same time plus research on the internet on a totally differnt'nt computer. Comes handy at times though it really is over kill.

Last edited:
Multiple screens are sooooooooo frikkin handy! We use them at one of the offices I IT for, and I'm really wishin I had enough deskspace to get a second for home. Lovin the desk, though! Did you build that yourself, or was it a store-bought piece-together set?

Multiple screens are sooooooooo frikkin handy! We use them at one of the offices I IT for, and I'm really wishin I had enough deskspace to get a second for home. Lovin the desk, though! Did you build that yourself, or was it a store-bought piece-together set?

Well the desk's where store bought years ago, they need some work, Ive been modifying them through the year's to make them work for whats best for me. Once I get some time I want to take them apart and stain them all one color so they match. Its kinda a work in progress. The top book selves I made out of 6 X 12's so they would hold the weight of the book without bowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back