My R-4360 on the Trailer Build Up

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Funny! heres a not good news update. we got done early yesterdsay so i installed the starter, batteries, starter relays, master cutoff, starter button. i wanted to see if she would crank with the starter. as you all know the engine was full of very old presevative and was stuck. i soaked it down for weeks with everything and got her turning free. well it froze up again. makes no sence to me at all. its been sitting for only 2 months since it turned last. im going to scope the cylinders and hope for the best. the thought of pulling 28 of them is not going to happen. does cosmoline or what ever they used back then reharden?( i even preoiled it with a pump to about 35 psi on the gauge at the front of the motor and poured oil on all the cylinders 2 months ago.) and yes the plugs are out of the motor so no liguid lock. im now starting on the flush process next week after i scope it. cross our fingers and pray to the radial engine gods for me.

28 of em, not too bad, its when you do all 56 that it hurts. My favorite bank is number 6, well I can sit to do them.
Did you do the prelube before trying to turn it? Just for safety take the lowest spark plugs from bank 3 down and around to bank 6.
Did you try to hand turn it or use the starter?
Gosh as far as preservative, they don't fill them with cosmoline, its something that mixes with the engine oil and must be kinda waxy.

I had it turning 2-3 months ago. i plug from each cylinder is removed. i did a pre oil but it doesnt hit the cylinders. bearing only. when my scope gets here ill update you. i dont want to do anything to hurt it.

Scoped the engine today. nothing looked bad. I reset my had crank rig to a new point on the trailer and low and behold it turning. weird. i went 1/2 turn on the prop snout. it was real easy. im glad i looked in the cylinders for piece of mind.nice to see clean cylinder wall. Did a pre oil and poured oil down each cylinder.hooked up the starter and away she went.

Were the spark plugs out for that session? It cranked pretty slow. Glad it scoped good. Wow that is one heafty setup holding that thing on the trailer.

1 plug each cylinder only so not compression building. I thought it cranked over fine speed wise. as far as the trailer its not finalized yet. Im not liking the front . when i get it colser to being done it will all come apart for paint and clean up. i want to trim up the front brackets. today if time allows im cutting up a 43e60 ham standard propeller blades off a dc-6. Im going with a 100 inch diameter propeller circle. that means each blade wiil be shorted about 2 ft and balanced. ill post pics when i get that far. i dont know what position to put the blades in in order to mount the domeon the engine. anythoughts? full feather?

I think its done in feather. How are you balancing the blades? Prop shop?
Do you have the special tools for tightening the nut etc?

i cut down the blades on the 43e60 hydomatic yesterday. today we balanced out the blades on my scale. they are right on. what a pain it is to do 3 blades. cleaned and polished the tips and yanked th deice boots. here are a few pics . ready for reassembly.

Attachments

• 2 631.jpg
    2 631.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2 632.jpg
    2 632.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 102
When the time comes please show us a photo of the tools you use to put that thing on the engine.
How much pressure does your prelube put out? I think cold cranking would put out about 60 or so psi.
All looks good, about how much do you think all those part weigh?

Thanks. heres the done propeller.theres a lot of little parts in there. the done is just laid on there for effect.ill take some pics of it going on when i do it. i have to make the tools to mount it. the prop nut is not a regular hex nut either.

Attachments

• 2 633.jpg
    2 633.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 2 634.jpg
    2 634.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 124
i had some time this afternoon and the huge prop was in our way so i figured why not just mount it.i cleaned and lubed up the big 60 spline prop shaft. hug the prop from my A frame and we slid it right on. went really easy. Im sure if it was hanging 25 ft up on a wing things would be different. i made a prop nut tightening socket out of some old 1/4 inch plate. works great. here are some pics of the progress. i have to either polish the dome or paint it black. anyone want to comment ? or pick a color? (the copper looking plug in the crank end in a plug i cut down from a pipe plug from home depo. i picked up a governer which goes in there but im on the fence if i want a controllable pitch set up.i may just lock it in 1 position.)

Attachments

• 2 638.jpg
    2 638.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 123
  • 2 637.jpg
    2 637.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 2 636.jpg
    2 636.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 2 635.jpg
    2 635.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 126
Looks nice, keep us posted. Would like to see the tool ya make. Good job and all.

It sure looks like its going to be a real sturdy setup.

wow. thanks for the links. his came out great. when im done with the major stuff I will take it apart for paint,detailing etc. im redoing the front mount eventually. it looks terrible and takes away from a lovely engine .i like his.i may do it similar. i did a crank over today with the prop. and another oil prime. i cleaned all the spark plugs and will reinstall them later in the week. My plan is to collect parts this winter and finish it in the spring. heres a pic of my mag switch.

Attachments

• 2 645.jpg
    2 645.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 112
Not much going on here. I cleaned all the spark plug and started to do the install on them. not to bad. i feel for the old school mechanics back in the day doing them on a cowled up engine. its tight even with nothing in the way. ( i hand start all the treads and thats the issue.) Also i picked up about 35 ft of steel square tubing to fix that front trailer mount and to build a dispaly mount for my new jacobs score. i picked up the mags, dist, acessory drive, fuel pump and ass. covers. so thats going well. i dont need that much for her. ill do a thread on that if you guys want. Dairwin, i would love to add a bristol radial to my collection. know of any?

What car you putting that in?

;)
Nice to share.

PS, need to build a proper cover for it, keep the bugs out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back