Mystery Aircraft Wheels/Tyres ?!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

roofie71

Recruit
Oct 10, 2009
Hello,we were recently been given the task of clearing out an elderly friends farm and have found these wheels (pics below) I was told that they could be Spitfire wheels but have now found that this can't be true. If anybody has a clue what these could be from we would be really interested to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• Outer Side of wheel with measurements.jpg
    Outer Side of wheel with measurements.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 635
  • Outer Wheel.jpg
    Outer Wheel.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 398
  • Inner wheel measurements.jpg
    Inner wheel measurements.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 287
They look very similar to Rims I've seen on later model Spits. Why do you say they can't be for a Spitfire?

Spitfire%20VB.jpg

the tire is 19 inches at the rim seems awful big to me ,

I've got a 22 inch monitor on my pc and I cant see the whole pic !!!:lol: Looks Spittie design. Ask Rocketeer when he's back from the US.

The tire size on that rim 10.50 x 18 with that you are talking anout a38"to 40" wheel well
I believe the Spit tire is about 7.50 x 10 1/4 amybe I'll go snag a photo of it this week at least a MkIX

Last edited:
sorry Guys, Yes the Pics are huge, off to work now but will try and overcome my blondeness this evening and resize one to give you a better idea of the tyre to wheel ratio. The tyres certainly are huge and they have 17.50-18 stamped on them if that means anything.

Finally I've sussed it! Though probably too small now! Hopefully this will give a better idea of Tyre to wheel ratio. Should have measured overall height really, but to give a rough idea I'm 5'7" and they're between waist and chest high!!

Attachments

• resized pic of wheel.jpg
    resized pic of wheel.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 138
Heck, they are big! Definitely not a Spit then! I'm thinking maybe an airliner, such as the Viscount or Ambassador, which used a similar style, although the tyre profile maybe doesn't match fully. They're also similar to those fitted to the Horsa glider, but I don't think they would have had the yellow 'slip' marks, and would probably be much more decayed by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back