Mystery possible WW2 wooden propellor from Takoradi, Ghana (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fazmac

Recruit
Mar 7, 2022
Hi Guys,
I wonder if you can help me identify what I believe to be a World War 2 propellor.
It was given to me by my late Merchant Navy father. He made regular trips to West Africa with Elder Dempster and many years ago on one such trip, some of his crew, whilst 'enjoying' some shore time in Takoradi Ghana, 'liberated' the propellor which was on display in Takoradi Airport and brought it on board where it remained as a trophy for some years. The story my dad told me was that it was part of one of the aircraft kits that were freighted to West Africa during the war to be assembled away from the main theater of operations and where prying eyes were less numerous.
The prop is some 197 cms long with the rear of the central boss being 22 cms in diameter. It was painted red with yellow tips but some time ago I began a restoration but soon realised there was more to it than I had thought so stopped at the stage you see it now in the pictures. There is a serial number 99491 stamped into the boss, if that helps.
I would like to find out more about it, not least to check the veracity of the tale told by my dad, who, being a lifelong mariner, could spin a yarn or two!
Thanking you all in anticipation.
Farrell McManus

Attachments

• Prop serial No..jpg
    Prop serial No..jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • Propellor.jpg
    Propellor.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
The kind of props was used for the planes driven by a low-power motor rather. I would say a small training or liaison aircraft. Also a small passenger kite is possible as well.

BTW ... the red coat seems to be the primer for the black finish paint. So .. the prop was of black with the yellow tips.

I first thought it could be for a Gladiator, since a number were used in the Egyptian front, but the shape is wrong, and probably corresponds more to that of a slower airplane, as Wurger points out.
It does look like a standard RAF propeller with its black finish with yelow tips, so the tale may well be true. If interested, there are a few threads that describe the Takoradi transit route on the site. Here are a few pictures you may enjoy.

Attachments

• Takoradi harbour.jpg
    Takoradi harbour.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 43
  • V7344 Takoradi.jpg
    V7344 Takoradi.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 43
  • Blenheim Crates IWM CM5402.jpg
    Blenheim Crates IWM CM5402.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Hurri-crates 2 IWM CM3022.jpg
    Hurri-crates 2 IWM CM3022.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 38
The shape (and attachment points) looks about right for a Tiger Moth, and it's a likely candidate for the story. I don't have the size of the propellor to check.

Attachments

• DSCN5222.JPG
    DSCN5222.JPG
    679.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back