Names of WWII fighters? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

agailor1

Recruit
Mar 6, 2009
What are some names of some US fighters from WWII. Not model names like Hellcat or Mustang, but Old Crow, Hun Hunter, etc.?

Preferably the names of some famous planes like Pappy Boyington's or other aces.

What are some names of some US fighters from WWII. Not model names like Hellcat or Mustang, but Old Crow, Hun Hunter, etc.?

Preferably the names of some famous planes like Pappy Boyington's or other aces.

A good source for the American aircraft, like the P-51s and the P-47s, etc can be found at places like 8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk

I don't think Pappy had an official "name" for his aircraft, but the names he called it probably can't be printed here...

A good source for the American aircraft, like the P-51s and the P-47s, etc can be found at places like 8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk

I don't think Pappy had an official "name" for his aircraft, but the names he called it probably can't be printed here...

lulubelle3.jpg

There's the Hellcat "Minsi". Actually there were at least three of them, the only one I've seen photos of is "Minsi III".

Boyington's Corsair was actually called Lucybelle IIRC, but it was changed post-war because of some nasty happenings with the real Lucybelle. It also wasn't "his" Corsair per se, 214's pilots didn't have Corsairs assigned to them, they just grabbed whatever was ready, and Boyington usually took the oldest and most tired looking bird ready to fly.

From "The Great Book of World War Two Airplanes," 'Maw Sweet. Eva L" "Carol's Baby," "Sleepy Tyme Gal," ' The Hun Hunter," Pattie Ann," "Short- Fuse Sallee," "Big Beautiful Doll," "Jersey Jerk," all P51s.
"Little Skunkface," "Esmeralda," "Winsome Winn," all B17s
"Putt Putt Maru," P38
Apparently, only the AAF was really big on nose art.

Are we forgetting the most famout B-29 in the world, "Enola Gay" ??? And the #2, "Bock's Car" ??

Charles

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 180px-Enola_Gay_Storage_Smithsonian.jpg
    180px-Enola_Gay_Storage_Smithsonian.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 97
I dragged out a book on nose art, and came up with these P-51's:

Rascal
What's Up Doc
Petie the Third