Napier Sabre

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thewritingwriter89

Airman 1st Class
Nov 5, 2008
In a small space capsule
This is perhaps a two part question, about the Napier Sabre, and sleeve valve engines in general.

1. Are there any still running?
2. Can anyone provide a good diagram of how in the world a sleeve valve engine is geared for an inline configuration?

I am in the midst of a Tempest infatuation...so when I build one, I know where to jack the engine from.
Just kidding...just kidding...

Hi
Always worth a browse of the flight archive.
Below is a link to an article on the sabre (a site search may reveal more).

napier sabre | 1945 | 2283 | Flight Archive

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1944/1944 - 0072.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1944/1944 - 0603.html

I don't think any are any running, in fact there are only a few engines left.
Most technical stuff I have seen so far is a eight page pilot reference book, which I have somewhere,never seen an engine manual yet.
cheers
Jerry

Last edited:
Napier Sabre Sleeve-port operation

Attachments

• Napier Sabre.jpg
    Napier Sabre.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,275
Kermit Weeks from the Fantasy of Flight in Polk Florida is restoring two Tempests, a Mark II and a Mark V. He has two Napier Sabre engines that are currently being assessed for restoration.

The Aviation Engine Historical Society has numerous motion animations of the internals of recips. I believe you must join to access them.

Tony

At the very least, it would be great if Weeks could at least get one running so we could listen to a modern recording, instead of the one from the 1940s that kind of overwhelmed the recording equipment at the time. :)

At the very least, it would be great if Weeks could at least get one running so we could listen to a modern recording, instead of the one from the 1940s that kind of overwhelmed the recording equipment at the time. :)
Great if it happens but I believe a full rebuild on a Merlin is well over £1million ($1.4 million). To get a Sabre running would be way north of that.

My late Father was in the RAF from 1944 on and caught the very end of Sabres running he said they made more of a droning whistling noise than a Merlin growl. We used to go on holiday to Shropshire near to the Severn Valley Railway Heritage railway one of the diesel engines they had was called a Western Class 52 it had 2 Maybach V12 engines and pulling out of Bridgnorth station they used to go past our caravan at Oldbury climbing with the loud lever all the way forward, Dad reckoned they sounded very like a Sabre.
View: https://youtu.be/XuW6X3SP_YE?t=40s

Great if it happens but I believe a full rebuild on a Merlin is well over £1million ($1.4 million). To get a Sabre running would be way north of that.

It might, if one were restoring it to flying status. But to just run it on a test stand shouldn't cost near as much, especially if nothing is actually broken or missing. :)

Yes. But the one and only historical record that has been circulating for many years is problematic. Sound level very quickly exceeds the capacity of the recording system, and what we hear is mostly saturation !

I believe most of the work now is focused on the Tempest airframes ( Mk II ( Centarus ) and Mk V (Sabre)). Search on FB Kermit Weeks public figure to see what goes on. He has posted images of the engine in 'Andy's shop', although it is not stated where that is. My impression is that these may not ever fly as they are so rare, and whether there are any Sabre mechanics around. I would think these aircraft would be restored for run-ups and/or taxi only. That is only my opinion based on what I have read and some short conversations with Kermit.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back