Naval aircraft used by Army and vice versa (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
What naval aircraft were adopted by army forces, and vice versa?
The USN F4 Phantom adopted by the USAF is a prime example.

Were any army aircraft adopted by naval forces?

Because Naval aircraft are more ruggedly built to withstand carrier landings, the transition to a land based operation is easier than the reverse. There is also a force rivalry that often hampered the cross breeding of aircraft.

Here are some off the top of my head

AF to Navy
C-47 to R4D
C-54 to R5D
C-118 to R6D
C-130
F-86 to FJ2

Navy to AF

A3D to B-66
F4H to F-4
A-7

I'm sure there are other but have to run.

Last edited:
Army or Air Force to Navy:
Sopwith Pup (sorry...had to!)
Hurricane
Spitfire
Mosquito
Me109
Ju87 Stuka
Spiteful (ok, never entered operational service...but it was converted)
Attacker (not sure about this one - it may have been intended from the start to be FAA)
Vampire
Venom
Harrier

Navy to Army (or Air Force):
F2A (Buffalo)
SBD Dauntless (A24 in Army parlance)
AD4 Skyraider
A4 Skyhawk (RNZAF used 'em)
Buccaneer
F-14 (Iranian Air Force)
F/A-18 (Canadians and others)

Not a bad list off the top of my head... :)

Oops...missed the DH Hornet from my list.

We could also (at a stretch) include the Bristol Scout, HP 0/400, BE2, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Strutter, Vickers Gunbus, Nieuport Scouts (various types), Avro 504, Airco DH4 and DH9 which served with both the RFC and RNAS.

The U.S. Navy's F2 Buffalo served with several Air Forces (Australia, Finland, RAF), the F4F Wildcat was ordered for service with the Belgian Air Force (never saw delivery, though), the F4U Corsair saw service in several Air Forces.

Not sure if the original question was intended to mean U.S. Navy to U.S.A.F. in specific or army to navy (or other way around) on an international level.

SB2C was also tested by the AAF in WW II as the A-25 Shrike.
Ed

Last edited:
You're right...it was the SB2U not the SB2C. Also known as the V.156F, I think, in France...although they may have been operated by the French Navy which would remove that particular customer from this discussion. RAF still had a couple, although only used for testing.

The USN also used Spitfires (to observe naval shoots in Europe).

I believe the USN also used the B-17, as the PB-1 and PB-1W, B-29, as the P2B, and the P-61 as the F2T-1N. Would we count the F6C/P-1? How about the YF-17/F-18? T-33/TO/T2V? The T-28?

Last edited:
I was not aware the navy used the P-61, thanks for the info and off the research it.

post-596-1261574710.jpeg

Geo

Took over a minute for this post to....uh...post

Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Strutter

Actually, Buffnut, the other way round. Pup, Camel and Strutter were designed for use by the Admiralty and the first production variants of these aircraft went to the RNAS first before they went to the RFC. The Triplane was used solely by the RNAS; Sopwith was known as supplier of aircraft to the Admiralty.

RNZAF used the Avenger, Dauntless, Corsair and Harpoon in WW2. The Royal Navy used the following RAF combat aircraft; Gloster Meteor, a naval hooked version was built and flown, as well as use as a target tug, Boulton Paul Defiant TT, Beaufighter II, Mosquito, specific naval variants, Vampire, both carrier based and land based Sea Vampires, Douglas Boston, Martin Maryland, Vultee Vengeance.

RAF used the SBC Helldiver as the Curtiss Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back