Navigation of figthers and wind in high altitude (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how Allied fighters in Western Europe conducted missions unaccompanied from bombers or other multi-crew aircraft in regard to the high speed winds which can be found in high altitude. In other words: how the pilotos managed to calculate their ground speed and thus their position in such condition?

Thanks since how for the attention,

Marcelo Jenisch

Last edited:
they probably used the sameold style hand calculators and tools as flying VFR today...but an E6B and the dial computer. they knew their heading home, and last winds aloft ( speed and direction )...it wasnt an exact science. a lot of times when they came across the channel they were not very high.

DaltonDeadReckoningComputer_AN-5835-1_JamesRobertWeberEstate.jpg

when they got close to home there was a "beam" signal...iirc one was a daw dit......the other a dit daw. it was a very primitative VOR/ADF kind of thing. remember hearing my dad say how they used it but i am nore sure i remember correctly. drgondog probably knows what it was and how it worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back