Navy ship on fire (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Prayers go out to my fellow shipmates and there family's and hope they get this fire under control quickly and safely

Explosion Reported as Firefighters Battle Blaze on Navy Ship

Picture from this link:

EcvrFCNWsAEemgZ.jpg

Probably going to be a total loss. The forward island collapsed early this morning and as of right now, noon Central time, the fire is still burning. Injury count is now at 57.

Probably going to be a total loss. The forward island collapsed early this morning and as of right now, noon Central time, the fire is still burning. Injury count is now at 57.

Agreed, from what I have watched holes have appeared in the hull just under the flight deck in certain spots and now they report multiple fires through out the ship. So sad, Worst part is she just came off a 245 million dollar upgrade but at least no human life has been lost so far.

What were they storing in there that would sustain a hot fire like that?

I know the well deck on the ship I served on (USS Saipan LHA 2) had the inside of the walls of the well deck covered in timber similar to railroad ties. Guessing this one would have a similar layout. It was used as a buffer to the sides of the ship so if a landing craft hit the side of the ship it only damaged the wood and not the craft or the ships. If I remember right the wood was 3 to 4 inches thick and the wood ran was about 10 feet high and roughly a quarter the length of the ship. The ceiling is painted insulation to help reduce noise. If that caught fire a lot of timber to burn. Also I bet there is a ton of paint that is burning inside of there. I know when they made us paint we never stripped any thing down and just painted over it. I remember in some areas if you chipped the paint way down to the metal it was over an 8th inch thick. Fuel lines for helicopters, harriers, tanks and vehicles run through out the well deck as well. If any of those lines ruptured or cracked due to heat even with the pumps off there is still probably fuel in the lines at certain points due to the check valves to prevent reverse flow. Betting all of this is helping to fuel the fire. Since still in yards betting most of the hatches are stuck open as well due to all the hoses and such for the construction workers is hampering as well as you can't shut the hatches. Every time they where on board that was a problem.

Anyway just some of my two cents on the problems they are running into and helping to feed the fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back